1st test results, now what?

JanHan

Silver Supporter
Jul 3, 2016
DFW, TX
Hello, joined a few months ago and have just moved into a home with a pool. Tested with TF-100. Used an online pool calculator app to see where to go from here, but replacing 65% (due to high CYA) of our water is not an option right now. Any suggestions where to start? Water is very clear but with a ton of scaling (co-op well water) and some black gook climbing near waterfall areas on stones. Not concerned with the scaling right now but need to focus on high CYA and absent chlorine. Had previous owner's pool boy out and am confident he was insane because he told me the gook was "normal" and the scaling was inevitable with well water. Paid him to explain equipment and give me a rundown on what he was doing to care for pool and it involved putting pucks in a float in the hot tub so chemicals ran into water. We have a instant puck chlorinator that he didn't use because "it constantly clogged". Previous owners left huge boxes of shock that I assume they used a ton. Any tips on where to start? (i have no intention of using pucks but I added in case it helped info) Sorry if above is too much info, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
FC= 0
CC=0
PH=8.2
TA=120
CH=1575 (omg!)
CYA=100

You're better off draining and refilling the pool partially to lower your CYA first. I would drain about 40-50% of the water, then refill. Check your CYA after refilling. Getting it to about 60 ppm would be a good start. Then after refilling, check your pH again. If it's still high, drop it to 7.2 and then immediately get some FC in the water. Use Pool Math to target 10 ppm of FC. Then perform the OCLT to confirm the absence/presence of algae. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking that I might have to wait to use this method until draining that much water is an option. Appreciate the response though. Dumped a few gallons of bleach in just now and will go from there I guess.

wow, do I feel stupid. We have always been on well water and assumed that 10K of water would be a fortune. Just googled avg. price and think i may go this route after all. Thank you,

Yeah, that well water will always be a problem. Do you have a water softener in your house? Have you tested your well water for CH and iron? Those are the two big problems.

We do have a softener, but I'm wondering if they bypassed it when filling? Have not checked for CH or iron, but I'm thinking I should. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, you said you had always been on a well so had no idea of the price of "city water", correct? You would not be filling this new to you pool with well water, it would be city water, correct?

Still might be advisable to know what the levels of the city water are before making a decision.

Sorry about the confusion, we were on a private well until we recently moved to this home, now we are on co-op well water that we have to pay by gallon. And the mineral count seems horrible even with a softner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.