Help removing scale/staining

randyb123

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2014
Dallas
We went away for a 2 week vacation this summer and came back to a light brown stain on the pool floor.

I bought a magic Jack's stain identification kit and the test indicating the use of STAIN SOLUTION #2 – THE COPPER & SCALE STUFF worked almost instantly.

What is in this solution and can I buy it in a different form? Jack's is expensive and I don't know if I want to dump some unknown chemical into the pool.

FYI - I'm pretty sure the staining came from no acid being added to the pool over the 2 weeks.

Other issues:

When we moved into the house, the calcium buildup under the waterfall was pretty heavy. It hasn't budged much since we moved in, how do you suggest I get rid of it.

Last, the brown spots about the size of a quarter did not react when I used the stain kit. How do I get rid of them? I've tried a puck and muratic acid directly applied. I have not tried asorbic acid.

Thank you!

Recent readings:
FC - 7
PH - 7.5
TA - 100
CH - 220
CYA - 30
Salt - 1080
Borate - 50

PH must be treated daily with at least 2 cups and up to quart a day.

Pictures of the pool

f423e5b72c4b951d3f8c20f6a1cc1e05.jpg
9bdc8bb19d7124f2b987c2e137e8a635.jpg
c7294f4432f15b4d50cdef29bc0fdae1.jpg
53456e4ba09c3309535e8bc25e030131.jpg
56a815d71248efb8048f9b2f971893e3.jpg
4385d51860f02a48d38392b4555c17d2.jpg
3f64aaca633621697374cb4cc389463a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Randy. Well, while your current test results don't seem to indicate a high calcium (CSI) level, you hint that perhaps the calcium levels were high at one time on the past based on other indications (i.e. waterfall). If the staining is from scale/calcium, and scrubbing doesn't effect it, it may be something you have to live with until you one day decide to give it a good acid wash. However if you are still not convinced and want to test further for organic or metals, try the following:
- Try Vitamin C tabs crushed in a sock (iron). If it makes the spot darker, it could be copper (try dry acid the same way).
- Then try a chlorine tab to rule-out organic material (algae-related).
- That leaves calcium-based deposits.

Hopefully one of those will help you pinpoint what's going on.

There are a few options for removing calcium scale.

Least aggressive
Lower your CSI to -0.8 to -0.9 and brush aggressively. This will take about as long to remove scale as it took to build up.

Mildly aggressive
The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment

Most aggressive, removes plaster and shortens plaster life
Drain the pool and acid wash it

More here about scale, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Greetings. If the staining responded to Jacks #2, its most likely copper. Some people have success doing an "underwater acid wash" using muriatic acid and this tool: Amazon.com: Purity Kit Underwater Acid Wash UAW: Home Audio Theater

If you want to test that it will work and have an dry acid on hand, use that in a sock.

AA in this case will not likely be as effective.

For the spot stains, you may have scale mixed in with te metal...you may need multiple treatments with acid to remove those.

Jacks stain solution #2 does not say what's in it on te msds, but another poster previously shared with me the belief that its sulfamic acid. People do report good results with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.