ok to close??

for my size pool, is 26 oz of muriatic acid acceptable? And, I have never had to lower pH beofre, do I buy that at pool store or what??

- - - Updated - - -

water temp 74 degrees. Have to close now because going on vacation for 3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I was all set and was surprised when pH bounced up from 7.2 to 8 after tweaking alkalinity a bit!

If you've never had to lower pH before disregard what I said. pH test reads false high at FC > 10.

It's usually better to wait until the water is 60 degrees F or lower. You might get lucky.

Thanks so much!! glad I mentioned that just yesterday before adding bleach to get FC to closing level my pH was a perfect 7.2.....I know I should wait til water 60 degrees but have no choice really, if I am going away for 3 weeks, pool will be a mess when I get home if I leave it open, leaves are already falling!,,,do not dare run filter etc while away and do not trust anyone to care for it in my absence. What are my chances pool will be ok when I open if I close with the water temp as it is now? Always have opened to a perfectly clear pool every spring! Thoughts?

for my size pool, is 26 oz of muriatic acid acceptable? And, I have never had to lower pH beofre, do I buy that at pool store or what??

- - - Updated - - -

water temp 74 degrees. Have to close now because going on vacation for 3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I was all set and was surprised when pH bounced up from 7.2 to 8 after tweaking alkalinity a bit!
Was the 7.2 from before or after you "tweaked" TA?

Depending on what you were trying to do, changes in TA can effect pH. What was your TA, what were you trying to adjust to, and what chemical(s) did you use?

We don't normally recommend messing with TA if the pH is somewhat stable, & the TA is not extremely low or high (which would normally cause pH issues anyway).

According to Pool Math, 26oz of 31.45% MA will lower pH by .33, and also lower TA by 5.4, in 19K gallons. I would hold off on it until we understand your pH/TA adjustment.

No, the pH test just reads high when FC is that high.

Like Dom said you don't need to adjust TA unless it's causing pH problems.

Sounds like with your situation you really don't have a choice other than to leave it alone and if you have a "project" come spring just deal with it then.

I'm sure you'll be fine then. How stable is your pH normally?

As Mr Bruce mentioned, what's done is done. If there are any ill effects they can be dealt with in the spring.

Closing temp will be a bigger influence as far as algae is concerned. If I was forced to close my pool with the water temp in the mid 70's I would definitely use a Polyquat 60 algaecide at closing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much everybody! I always have a perfect pH and now I realize I should not have been so anal about my alkalinity not being perfect and left well enough alone. I am just glad I did not add tons of baking soda! I just rechecked my pH this evening and it is 7.8 and all set to close. Going to definitely add Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart. Hope my spring opening is not horrible, thanks for the great support!

Thank you so much everybody! I always have a perfect pH and now I realize I should not have been so anal about my alkalinity not being perfect and left well enough alone. I am just glad I did not add tons of baking soda! I just rechecked my pH this evening and it is 7.8 and all set to close. Going to definitely add Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart. Hope my spring opening is not horrible, thanks for the great support!
Sounds like you have a good plan laid out.

Don't worry about opening, we'll be here to help if you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.