Need Help With Design. Breaking Ground Soon.

Jun 5, 2014
Cream Ridge NJ
Attached is the design offered by my landscape architect. You can see that I have 1140sqf + 86sqf for spa = 1226sqft. The math that I am seeing to calculate the formula is not adding up to what I am being quoted. My math is coming in way higher, but pools I have seen similar size are saying they are using much less than my estimate. I got an estimate from one gunite supplier and seems about 25cuft on the high side.

Obviously I do not want to under order because that can be a nightmare for a job, but I also don't want overage to go to waste either. I will stress no rebound and everything shot solid and I will be breaking ground in 60 days.

One last point. Where you see jumping rocks, will be another waterfall so I will need to gunite under their to prevent leakage.

Sounds like he's asking how much gunite will be used.

Does one have to order the gunite by the cubic foot, or does the gunite company take care of that and just charge for what was used? I've never seen anyone else ask for this info...

Not only that, I would think the designer should have the proper calculation available through the program based on an assumed thickness. It's too complex a shape to be able to estimate by hand. Are you handling the GC work yourself? Is this the only thing you are giving a gunite contractor?

Yes, I have a rough estimate based on my calculations of about 75-80 cu yards based on a pool 40 x 20 that used 60 cu yards. I called a guy in North Jersey and he was at 120 cu ft and I am like thats impossible. He was charging a premium and over estimating.

I would say this, forget the cuts. 45 x 25 with average depth of 6ft. The thickness will be 8" Another gunite supplier is talking in only sq ft. I am finding calculators that only offer partial information.

I know I am missing something. It cant be that difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.