Bonding?

Aug 8, 2016
Charlotte, NC
We installed an 18' foot above ground pool; 52" deep. The electrician made a new properly grounded receptical that runs to the breaker. He said that it doesn't need to be bonded. I feel like it should.
Do most of you have yours bonded?
The pump also got tripped somehow after heavy rain this week. Is this normal?

We installed an 18' foot above ground pool; 52" deep. The electrician made a new properly grounded receptical that runs to the breaker. He said that it doesn't need to be bonded. I feel like it should.
Do most of you have yours bonded?
The pump also got tripped somehow after heavy rain this week. Is this normal?
I have had my AGP for almost 20 yrs and never bonded mine.I ran my own electrical from the house a good 75 feet.I have two GFI outlets inline and your deal with the heavy rains.You will need to find a way of covering the outlet.You are getting water into the outlet area to trigger it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

We just did this on a 30 ft round, it was part of the electrical inspection, my husband is an electrician and had everything done for inspection other than to run a copper wire all the way around the pool and attach it to the pump. Simple but necessary. It is code....:)

Aqualeader AG round 30', 21,200 gals, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp pump, TF100 test kit,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, my husband just clarified and said that the electrician also took a pole and that is wired to the pump and stuck it way down in the ground. This is in addition to the new receptacle running to our breaker box. So in addition, we still need a bonding ring? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your electrician installed a grounding rod in place of doing a bonding ring he definitely didn't do his homework. A proper bonding ring for an above ground pool (in grounds differ in methods) will loop around the circumference of the pool about 18-36 inches from the wall, it will also connect to the frame of the pool at least once (preferred is 4 equidistant points around the pool), connect to the pump, and connect to the water. If there is a heater or SWG those also need to be connected. The loop will be made of #8 bare copper wire (#6 if in Canada) that is buried directly in the ground between 6-12" deep. Where connections to the loop need to be made split bolt connectors, or UL listed for bonding should be used. The water bond for an above ground is a very important piece of that puzzle. The two popular choices around here are

the "Water bug"
https://www.amazon.com/Burndy-Water...8&qid=1473166790&sr=8-2&keywords=pool+bonding

and the perma-cast fitting

https://www.amazon.com/Perma-Cast-P...8&qid=1473166790&sr=8-1&keywords=pool+bonding

This is a very basic over view but is a good place to start Happy bonding

There are really three questions here.

First is the pool required to be bonded. In this case yest. THE NEC DOES NOT REQUIRE BONDING OF ALL ABOVE GROUND POOLS.

Generally pools with a design depth of 42 inches or less do not require bonding.

The pool in question here is 52 inches deep. Under the NEC that makes it a permanent pool and it requires bonding. NEC 680.2 Its possible there is a local exception but I doubt it.

The big question is what do you have to bond. Under NEC 680.26 you must crate an interconnected system including conductive pool shells, deck, conductive supports, and electrical pool equipment. It also required the water be bonded.

I suspect you will find at least one bonding lug attached to your pool

I suspect your electrician is under the impression that above ground pools don't need to be bonded. That is true only for pools with a depth of less than 42 inches.

There are really three questions here.

First is the pool required to be bonded. In this case yest. THE NEC DOES NOT REQUIRE BONDING OF ALL ABOVE GROUND POOLS.

Generally pools with a design depth of 42 inches or less do not require bonding.

The pool in question here is 52 inches deep. Under the NEC that makes it a permanent pool and it requires bonding. NEC 680.2 Its possible there is a local exception but I doubt it.

The big question is what do you have to bond. Under NEC 680.26 you must crate an interconnected system including conductive pool shells, deck, conductive supports, and electrical pool equipment. It also required the water be bonded.

I suspect you will find at least one bonding lug attached to your pool

I suspect your electrician is under the impression that above ground pools don't need to be bonded. That is true only for pools with a depth of less than 42 inches.
Good information!

From what I see the vast majority of electricians are ignorant of pool bonding unless they regularly work,on pools. This is not to say they are not good electricians, just that pool electrical requirement s are different from what they deal with on a daily basis. Even seasoned electricians confuse grounding and bonding.

I thought I saw somewhere on this site that Intex pools don't have to be bonded?

We are still planning on bonding. But when my husband talked to the electrician again today, he said he would def recommend it if we had lights. But if we want peace of mind, he will do it. My husband also called the store where we bought the pool and they said we didn't need to unless it was code. [emoji15]

If the pool is more than 42" deep, no matter what other dimensions, it must have some form of bonding. This is a requirement of the 2008 NEC code cycle. So just about everywhere requires these pools have some bonding.

Many folks do not get and are not required to get permits. Some bonding is still required.
It costs some cash and may be difficult for some but its not really all that hard.

If you dig down into Intex's manual and on page 3 it tells you to talk to local building officials.

Many local building officials and electricians just think you need to keep electricity away from the pool and have everything on a GFCI. No since the 2008 code cycle the NEC has required pools with water depths of 42" or greater to be bonded.

We are still planning on bonding. But when my husband talked to the electrician again today, he said he would def recommend it if we had lights. But if we want peace of mind, he will do it. My husband also called the store where we bought the pool and they said we didn't need to unless it was code. [emoji15]

we didn't need to unless it was code

I am a member on a home inspection forum. As they are quite apt of saying over there. The code is a minimum to which you must build, not a goal you should not go past.

Building to code is building the most minimum viable product. People want cars with extras and upgrades, or home electronics with added features, but somhow building a construction product to the absolute bare minimum "meeting code" is perfectly OK with them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.