Pentair wifi connection problems-what is required?

Sep 5, 2016
Lavon/Texas
I am new to this forum but not to pool ownership. I recently had a pool installed and the installer promised we would be able to control the pool with our phones or online. The pics below are what was installed. The installer said he does not know how to connect to it and basically left us with a manually operated pool. I think there may something missing. I cannot figure it out. I have downloaded the pentair app but I cant figure out how to connect. Can someone please enlighten me???
The controller model is a Pentair PL4/PSL4
Pool is a fiberglass Pool/Spa combo.
Thanks in advance.pencontrol.jpgpencontrol1.jpg

Congrats on your pool. I find it really curious that your Pentair installer didn't review how to control the system with you or set the initial programming. This is generally part of the install. Can you elaborate more on your system? Do you also have an easytouch remote or just the supposed phone system? Did the tech install anything inside your home on your router or computer? Did you receive a cd or any other computer tools?

Lastly.. Can you please add your pool specs, including hardware, to you signature line I the forum? This will save a lot of questions in assisting you. See more here: What we need to know to answer your questions

What you are showing in the pics is not part of your Wi-Fi network. It is simply the outside RF link between the EasyTouch and the inside RF link (receiver). The EasyTouch talks over this link to a device inside your house called a Protocol adapter. The Protocol adapter talks "Pentair" at one end and "Ethernet" out the other end. The Ethernet end has a phone-like jack that gets connected with a cable to your the router in your Wi-Fi System.

The first thing you want to do is to make sure that you have all the parts.. The outside RF unit which is in your pics, the inside RF unit, connected to the Protocol Adapter, and that the adapter is connected to your router.

If you have all that, then just follow the manual about setting up the system. In my manual this starts on page 21.

If that does not work for you, then please let us know what specific step you are having trouble with..

Jim R.

Done with signature. Also have been scanning Pentair's site and founds some answers but not still can't connect. The pool installer is dragging his feet and has basically told us to contact Pentair. It is a long story...maybe for another time. I dont have a manual or a CD for the controller. We do not have an easy touch remote. I am planning on using a tablet when I can get it working properly. The pic below is what I found on Pentair's site. I have them connected together and to my wired/wireless router. I have set the load panel to scan address and it comes back "sending address" it seems like the wireless adaptor is recieving a signal because the Transmit light blinks when before only the send light would. I downloaded the screenlogic connect program to my laptop and put in the name exactly as it says to do and I get the error "correct viewer version cannot be found" I'm getting close...20160905_155309.jpg

I'll take a picture of my stuff when I get home... Since I am OB, I had to figure it out on my own too.. I couldn't connect and figured out that the range on this system is horrible... so you have to be close... which kind of defeats the WIFI part of it.. why they don't spend more money on a stronger unit is beyond me. Once I had the wifi receiver close enough it worked.. I tested it by just plugging in the receiver close to the outside RF transmitter, until I the lights on the unit showed I had connected, then slowly moved away till I found the range... so I moved the RF transmitter closer, and am picking up some low voltage wire to extend it closer to a window. It does not like to travel through wall very well.

You said... "I downloaded the screenlogic connect program to my laptop and put in the name exactly as it says to do..."

Show me the exact format you used for the system "name".. It should be something like "Pentari: (space) F3-C0-E0... Is this the format you used? And if so, where did you get the actual numbers/letters you used?

Thanks,

Jim R

Jim, Yes I used that format and the numbers are off the protocol adaptor. I updated the firmware on the adaptor and now my cell phone is able to connect but I still get the same error when trying to connect with the laptop "correct viewer version cannot be found". I have uninstalled and installed the newest version in "admin" mode as suggested by pentair and it still does not work.

Well, I'm just guessing, but if your phone works, that should mean the system itself is working. Maybe some kind of browser/setup error on the laptop.

I have only connected mine to a PC.. do you have any other devices you can try to connect with?

Maybe one of our more knowable members can jump in...

Jim R.

When you get the "Sending Address" message, it is not connecting to your outside box. Nothing in the instructions says that, but that is the case...
Now what you are getting is sounding like some sort of software error... for wrong version... Also, you know when its connecting on you home computer because the little box on the Screen Logic Connect screen says "found systems" and yours should be listed, if you are getting that far...

Below is my wifi adapter that is actually connected by LAN cable to my router.. The Solid Green on the power indicates it sees the system outside..(if its flashing, it does not see your system) then the TX and RX lights are data.. as you know. I had to move my outside RF receiver closer to my windows.. so the signal wasn't going through a wall.. in order to place the Wifi controller where I wanted... then I had perfect signal and the program worked...

It sounds like you may have, not an "old" protocol adapter, but rather one that does not have the latest firmware version, and wont talk to the newer software. When you downloaded the screen logic software...

Screenlogic2 Update Instructions | PENTAIR

...you may have noticed that you started with step 2. Go back and start with step 1. Running the protocol adapter update tool will insure that you have the latest firmware installed onto the PA.
Note: if you do need to run the updater tool due to a version mismatch, you may need to run it twice. Don't know why, its just what Pentair says.

If all that fails, it is possible you have a brick (PA) that just doesn't work. In this case, call Pentair, and they should warranty it, and send a new one.

One more thing, Pentair will not guarantee a reliable connection unless the PA is connected directly to the router. IOW, no wifi extenders or switches!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It sounds like you may have, not an "old" protocol adapter, but rather one that does not have the latest firmware version, and wont talk to the newer software. When you downloaded the screen logic software...

Screenlogic2 Update Instructions | PENTAIR

...you may have noticed that you started with step 2. Go back and start with step 1. Running the protocol adapter update tool will insure that you have the latest firmware installed onto the PA.
Note: if you do need to run the updater tool due to a version mismatch, you may need to run it twice. Don't know why, its just what Pentair says.

If all that fails, it is possible you have a brick (PA) that just doesn't work. In this case, call Pentair, and they should warranty it, and send a new one.

One more thing, Pentair will not guarantee a reliable connection unless the PA is connected directly to the router. IOW, no wifi extenders or switches!

Great point!.. you may have updated the firmware to your pool equipment side, but not to the protocol adapter... The picture I sent you is the latest equipment, from my understanding. So if yours looks different, it may be an older model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.