Shocking before or after heavy use?

May 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
We are having a bunch of swimmers over later today. My FC is currently at around 2.0.

I was thinking about putting the FC up to 5.0, so there will be enough chlorine for the heavy use. My question is, whether it's better to add the cholorine before the party, or after. Also, is 5.0 enough, or should I shock it up to 13?

Thanks!

I would bring it up a couple ppm's beforehand. that's usually what I see the mods here recommend, and a little more chlorine (not shock level) will help ensure you don't get to 0. the bacteria everyone will be passing around could end up being more irritating, and a little raise in chlorine shouldn't be too noticeable.
also, 2ppm is the absolute minimum according to the chlorine/cya chart (assuming an outdoor, non-swg pool with cya 20-30 pool). are you sure you're keeping your pool balanced? do you have a full set of test numbers and have you been indoctrinated with pool school? pool-school/

I am waiting for my TF100 kit to come in the mail. I am hoping it will arrive today or tomorrow. I currently have a cheap 4 way basic test kit, but with that one it's practically impossible to get an accurate read on the FC. I don't really know how much CYA I currently have, because we just refilled our pool. I added a gallon of conditioner (from Leslie's), so that should have brought up the level to about 25 CYA. After I get the test kit, and get accurate results, I want to get the CYA up to about 60ppm. (outdoor pool, in Texas, with direct sunlight all day).

I just switched from pucks to BBB, and have read all the info from the pool school. I think I have the basics down, but really just need a good test kit first. Also, I still have some Trichlor shock left over from last year. If I want to get my CYA up, can I just use up that shock first? I would hate to have to buy more CYA, when I already have some of it in the form of shock and pucks. All of this is kind of frustrating right now, because I don't have good test numbers to work with. I want to be very careful not to get my CYA up too high, because that caused me to have to drain the pool (it was at 150 ppm).

So for now, I'll bring my FC up to 5.0 before the party, then do another reading late tonight ,and add the needed Chlorine to get it back up to 5.0?

Thanks for all your help!

jefeyessica said:
I still have some Trichlor shock left over from last year. If I want to get my CYA up, can I just use up that shock first? I would hate to have to buy more CYA, when I already have some of it in the form of shock and pucks. All of this is kind of frustrating right now, because I don't have good test numbers to work with. I want to be very careful not to get my CYA up too high, because that caused me to have to drain the pool (it was at 150 ppm).
I hear you loud and clear; I was there last winter.

I assume the "trichlor shock" is granulated? I'd go ahead and use that up. Pucks, you can use them or you can save them for vacations. Occasional use won't make the CYA go up too fast. I also use my pucks if it seems the CYA needs a little nudge, because I'm a cheapskate and don't see why I should buy CYA when I have a lifetime supply of pucks in hand already.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.