Need help choosing method to repair pool cracks

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
We've had several bids on a total pool remodel, including the repair of several cracks. About half use epoxy injection, which is VERY expensive, and the others had various other ways to patch them. Some that used to use it have even stopped using the epoxy since the pool will just crack somewhere else if there is movement going on.

Has anyone had any long-term luck with any type of crack repair? I realize nothing is going to stop the cracks if the movement is still there, but we're getting ready to spend a ton of money on this and just want to decrease the odds of the cracks coming through again.

Laff,

(Man, there's a bunch o' Texans on this site!! Ya'll might have to open your own branch of TFP....the rest of us will come down there and challenge you to water volleyball :lol: )

Masonry cracks because of movement. If the movement has not stopped, it will almost always continue to crack. (Not what you wanted to hear, I know) Anyway, you don't say how large, how many, or how old they are. If they are recent, I'm not aware of any way to prevent further movement. If they have stabilized and are not too large, replastering may hide them completely.

It sounds like a real pro (or maybe more than one) needs to take a look and give you his opinion. If it makes good sense to you, I'd follow his advice.

Unfortunately, I'm fully aware that they're probably going to come back. I always laugh when a bidder tells us that their method of crack repair is going to last years and years! Sure, it may, but when the shell moves, its going to crack right next to their epoxy repair.
What I was trying to get at was if anyone had used any of these methods before, and with what kind of success.
We're kind of guessing at a lot of this, since we just bought the house with the existing pool cracks. There are quite a few, most of which are hairline. There's one bigger one that really concerns me, as it runs up the side and through the coping in one of the corners. We have clay soil and with a huge rain recently, it closed up almost completely.
The other problem is, we've had several "pros" look at it, and there are still several schools of thought on how to deal with them.

No, the pool is full, and doesn't appear to be losing any water. I've had a lot of people tell me that the cracks could be "just in the plaster" and not in the gunite shell. I really don't see how thats possible in the case of the crack that runs up the side and through the coping...

When did the cracks first appear? How soon ar you planning to replaster? I only ask because now would not be the ideal time to work on the cracks if they have closed up. Wait until you have a long dry spell for the cracks to widen to their furthest point then fill. The epoxy will not crush easily, whereas if you do it now it would be easier for a new crack to appear or the epoxy to fail.
George

Well, we ended up going with a bidder who used a product called Flexcrete, which is a vinyl polymer of some sort and when dried feels like JB Weld. We plastered over them, and will see how it holds up! We did change to a darker pebble finish so hopefully they wont show as much if they come back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.