Lowering TA in salt water pool..do I need to raise PH after?

rcy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My PH was 7.9 and my TA was 140 (per the pool store which uses a Waterlink Express). I have a salt water pool and I understand the PH always creeps up (I see this firsthand in my pool).

My question is, if I lower the TA (with muriatic acid, though the pool store recommended PH down powder) do I need to raise the PH with manual aeration, or can I just wait for it to climb up naturally due to the chlorine generator?

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know - I just wasn't sure if there was any urgency to raise the PH after lowering the TA.

I find my PH creeps up fairly quickly so I may avoid the manual aeration. For example, I lowered the PH from 7.8 to 7.5 about two weeks ago, and it's already climbed up to 7.9. Granted, we had a fair amount of rain lately as well. I run my pump 8hrs a day and have my SWG set to 2 lights (out of five). So far, that has been maintaining my FC at around 1ppm.

My SWG pool TA was at 140ppm and 8.2 pH. I started dumping muriatic acid into pool and ran the pump. I used my air compressor, used the nozzle and put it into a water hose and taped the end nozzle. Then, I used the open water hose end and put it into the pool and let it aerate.

Within two days and checking every few hours in the day time, dumping more muriatic acid, my pH remained stable and the alkalinity eventually lowered to 60ppm. I borrowed my friends compressor as well to double the aeration process. The third day I let it run mostly all day and the pH level was 7.2 and the TA 60ppm. The numbers hasn't changed since.

Aeration from an air compressor cuts down on time! If you have an air compressor use it!

rcy said:
My PH was 7.9 and my TA was 140 (per the pool store which uses a Waterlink Express). I have a salt water pool and I understand the PH always creeps up (I see this firsthand in my pool).

My question is, if I lower the TA (with muriatic acid, though the pool store recommended PH down powder) do I need to raise the PH with manual aeration, or can I just wait for it to climb up naturally due to the chlorine generator?

Thanks.
It really depends on how much you lower the pH when you add the acid. If you follow the printout on the sheet from the pool store there is a very good chance that you will drop the pH dangerously low and it could cause damage.
If you just add enough acid to drop the pH to aronjd 7.0 and then let the pH rise and repeat this until the TA is where you want it you don't really need to aerate. It will just go much slower. If you don't need to drop the TA by much then it's fine but, IMHO, if you need to make more than about a 50 ppm change in TA then I would aerate to speed the process up.
This thread is a bit more complete then the pool school article on lowering TA so you might want to read it.
how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.