CYA rose to 95 over two weeks from 58 - could tge tabs bring it this fast?

morzh

Jul 3, 2015
Jackson, NJ
At the beginning of the season I tested my water in the store I go to with computerised testing.
It showed 58 CYA - quite a bit down from last year wgen I was at 98. (Yes I did use that bacterial bio stuff and it did seem to work....kick me).
Anyways, I was away for two weeks and so I put 6 jumbo tabs in the chlorinator to keep the pool chlorinated in my absense. The pump ran 5hrs per day and for now it looks like no more than half is used up.
Today I decided to test the water (had a light algae bloom so after I squished it I decided to test for CYA) - the same store showed 95.

So, the only reason I was using tabs was I was hoping it would not raise CYA too much given the amount (6 tabs in inline chlorinator, again by now about 3 have been used judging by the height of the tabs column in the chlorinator).
Could tbey? Or is it the test error?

Six 8oz trichlor tabs would only add 7.4ppm of CYA in your 27K gallon pool.

The result of CYA 58ppm was a test error, and this is why we stress the importance of doing your own testing.

No one is going to "kick you" for trying the Bioactive, as a matter of fact, if you had success with it that is encouraging to hear. Was the CYA reduction observed with your own testing, or was that also from pool $tore testing?

Six 8oz trichlor tabs would only add 7.4ppm of CYA in your 27K gallon pool.

The result of CYA 58ppm was a test error, and this is why we stress the importance of doing your own testing.

No one is going to "kick you" for trying the Bioactive, as a matter of fact, if you had success with it that is encouraging to hear. Was the CYA reduction observed with your own testing, or was that also from pool $tore testing?

Domct

From the store. I go to the same store so I was hoping that even if their testing is off (and these guys do not even sell the blue box kits saying thowe are inaccurate, they test by computer and for free so....) at least it would be consistent, so if it goes up, at least I know it goes up.

As for the bio CYA reducer, I know it is not popular but I did not know it. The first one didn't do much, maybe 10ppm, but then they want you to wait till below 5ppm FC and if I did that with CYA this high it'd be like having no FC at all, so I put it in at maybe FC of 5ppm. I called the mfr and they promised to send me some "pro strengh" that is more potent. This took some time and when it came it was some time in October so the water was cooler than what they ask for, though now FC was about right for them. I put it in shoryly before the pool closing. This May I tested the water upon the pool opening and it was 58ppm. This is why I thought it worked. Now I am not so sure it did.
The guy in the store said the 58ppm could've been the result of the water temperature being low at the opening, but then it was not that low, probably close to 70F, plus the bottle is small and the water likely warmed up anyway. In any case, one of these measurements is flawed.

One thing I noticed though, last year before the reduction attempt the FC would linger about 7-8ppm for a week without dropping (which was why I got interested in my CYA figure in the first place); this year after I would add a gallon of Great value 8.2% bleach and get the FC to about 5ppm (I always add before the bedtime when it's dark) it would get back to about 3ppm within 3-4 days. Which kinda indicates to me the CYA was somewhat lower.

Make of it what you will. :)

PS. Yep, need to buy that kit. I will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.