above ground questions

Hello First y'all kook like a great bunch here. I have a 10,000 gal above ground pool. It is 4 years old, Year 1 I used clorine I had just the usual troubles . Year #2 I used baquil & loved it easy to use & cost less. Year #3 filled with well water & put in the baquil & the pool turne GREEN instantly. I tried every thing & I drained it & went back with clorine everything was ok.
THIS YEAR #4 I filled wit well water & put the clorine in & the same thing..... the water turned GREEN/ BROWNish instantly . I tried algeside ,no dice. Itried shock treatment , no good. I put in the glear water stuff, no good , So this year I have put in clorine ,shock treatment ,backing soda,I clairafier & the water is still cloudy but not so green looking. Should I try a metal remover because of the well water??
1 more thing that I never have had before... WATER BUGS!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Little black bugs that loos like they swim under water with OARS!!!
Better try and help me before I ger toted off by the bugs
Thanks
" TOOL"

Hello and Welcome.

If you haven't read Pool School yet, that's a great place to start. Most of your questions can probably be answered there, but if you still have some, feel free to post them.

I'd advise you to order one of the recommended kits.

In the meantime have the pool store run a full set of test results, including metals, and if metals are present, purchase some sequesterant. But don't buy anything else from them except perhaps liquid chlorine. Then post the results back here on this thread and we can advise you better.

When you switched back to chlorine from the Baq, did you replace the filter media? (sand/cartridge?) Read about Bacquacil conversions for more info, you could be having Baq goo reactions to the chlorine if there was still some residue in the plumbing/system. Even if you started with new water. Was this a complete drain/refill? What kind of pool is this, is it a permanent AG pool or is it a frame/easy set Intex type?

Re: the bugs - they are called backswimmers or boatmen - and they thrive in improperly sanitized water. Once you get everything in order they should vanish, and if they don't there is something that reportedly helps but we can talk about that later.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thank you, The water tests OK except for HIGH PH. The water is fresh out of the well it tests clean zero bacteria. & some iron. I live in the south & we will have iron in our wells. I am in the fla. aquafer so the water is as good as it gets(its the stuff the sell in bottled water) so, I tested both (well & pool) & looks ok. Thats why I came here . Nothing has seemed to change, but these troubles popped up suddenly. I used the lemon joy trick & the boatmen are history.There is a lake about 100 yards away & I think they fly in from that. BUT the green/brown/ Its getting better I put a new filter in & I might get buy. I need to lower my PH some how.
Thanks for all your help
"Toolman"

no disrespect meant by this...but saying that your water tests OK, does not give us much info to help you. Glad to hear your water is improving. As you have prob. already noticed, there are a few great water experts on this board, so to the extent you can post accurate test results for FC, CC, TC, PH, TA, CH, CYA...the more we can assist.

If you don't have one of the recommended test kits in Pool School, you may also choose to take a water sample to your local pool shop and have them test it for you...usually they will provide you with a printout of your water results. You can post them here and we will help you the best we can and hopefully save you from spending too much $ at the pool shop

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.