First time pool owner - indoor

Sep 4, 2016
St. John's NL
Hi everyone,
I bought a house with an indoor pool in the basement, and joined to get advice. The pool is 15' x 25' and ranges in depth from 32" to 70". It's a concrete, ceramic tiled pool, and hasn't been filled in years. The elderly lady who lived in the house had bought new pool equipment a couple of years ago but never hooked it up because she ended up going into care. The pool and equipment were inspected by a pool store owner, as well as the lines were pressure tested, and all is fine to set it up again.
One of the two 500w pool lights had burned out and was removed leaving wires hanging, so we plan to get two LED replacement kits and an electrician to rewire back to the panel.
I guess I'm joining to get educated on how to set this pool up, what sanitation system to go with, and how to do the ongoing maintenence that comes with owning a pool. I've never had one before, but we're all just super excited to have it, and I know it will be a source of constant enjoyment :)
Paula

Welcome, many of the aspects of the TFP pool care method can be used with an indoor pool, however there are a few indoor specific issues that you will need to address. First you will want to run a lower level of CYA (I keep mine between 20-30 ppm for my indoor pool and an FC level at about 3.5 ppm). Your other big concerns are likely to be heating, and following that humidity control, you live in a very different climate from where I do, and will likely need to have far more active levels of control for both heating and humidity control ( I simply use high volume exhaust fans).

If you can post some photos of your pool and your equipment we can get a better idea of what you are working with and what improvements we might suggest.

Ike

p.s. if you use some type of cover when the pool is not in use, even one of the thin blue bubble wrap style "solar" covers it will greatly lower your humidity issues.

p.p.s. the basic trouble free pool account has very limited storage space for photos and attachments, usually only enough for 2 or 3 photos, if you need to post more you can either get additional space and other perks by going to the support this site link in the upper left, or use an external photo sharing site and embed links, here is a link on how to do this Posting Photo's Tutorial