Vinyl Liner Wall Wrinkles

My salt water pool is 10 years old and the walls at the shallow end have suddenly developed 4 or 5 parallel horizontal wrinkles, about 12 inches long on the side walls and end wall, midway up from the floor (fibreglass stairs are located in the shallow end wall) These wrinkles have a "crunchy" feel (perhaps salt crystals?) There are also several smaller wrinkles near the inlet jets. The water has always been balanced using a Taylor K2006 test kit. The pool is in solid gravel with excellent drainage and fully surrounded/sealed by a large concrete deck. Possible excessive heat from the Coverstar cover has never been an issue in the past 6 years. Could the wrinkles be caused by a leak(s) in the liner? What action is required? Thanks very much!

Man let me tell you about the side effect of a coverstar cover, turned my pool into wrinkle heaven 2 years after install. Ultimately I think the cause is a superheated top layer of water in my pool causing the liner to stretch and thin out at the water line and grow all over below. I've got a new liner in the garage to install when I can't stand it anymore replaced under warranty. I discovered how to lower my pool temp this sumer when my pool pump was out for a month. But I haven't discovered how to stop the heated layer right under cover when pump is off. Next coverstar cover for me will be white.

It is important to open your auto-cover at least an hour a day so the water can out-gas. You can get localized areas of pH rise which can stretch your liner and cause wrinkling.

I also am not sure about the advisability of not running the pump with an auto-cover on, whatever the color. The still water will heat at the surface and cause the liner to heat and stretch.

It is important to open your auto-cover at least an hour a day so the water can out-gas. You can get localized areas of pH rise which can stretch your liner and cause wrinkling.

I also am not sure about the advisability of not running the pump with an auto-cover on, whatever the color. The still water will heat at the surface and cause the liner to heat and stretch.

I'm curious, if your pump is running at some point during the day, or points during the day, would that be enough turnover (water movement) to prevent the localized areas of pH rise? I've never read anywhere that it's important to open an auto-cover for an hour a day nor was I advised it, but my PB didn't have a clue about them either. If that is true, and allowing the pool to out-gas is necessary to prevent liner wrinkling that would be a huge pain.

I have to admit that I don't open mine every day, and sometimes not every other... It has been closed at times for over a week.

However, I was first told years ago by a "TFP Expert" who was especially gifted in chemistry, that it was important to open the auto-cover daily for out-gassing. I was passing on that advise.

I did not develop wall wrinkles until I tried shutting my pump off during the day with the cover on...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.