Houston Area Daily Chlorine Loss

Jul 18, 2015
Katy TX
My FC is dropping significantly during the day. Here's what the last couple of days looked like:

Friday 9/2 (some swimming, 4 kids for an hour or so)
8:00 AM FC 4.5 CC 0.0 pH 7.8
8:15 AM Added 84 oz of 12.5% SH to target FC 8

Saturday 9/3 (some swimming, 3 kids for an hour or so)
8:00 AM FC 4.5 CC 0.0 pH 7.8
8:15 AM Added 84 oz of 12.5% SH to target FC 8
10:30 AM FC 8.0 CC 0.0 pH 7.8

Sunday 9/4
8:20 AM FC 4.0 CC 0.0 pH 7.9
8:30 AM Added 72 oz of MA to target pH 7.4
9:00 AM Added 96 oz of 12.5% SH to target FC 8

I am looking to find out from the Houston TX area TFP'ers what their daily drop is?

Do your FC drops look similar to mine?

Do they make sense?

Thank you!

Your FC loss is going to be highly dependant on your CYA level, comparing to nearby pools does not really help much as FC loss will be different from pool to pool depending on a number of factors (sunlight exposure, organic load (either bather or windblown), etc. If you are experiencing excessive FC loss, the first thing you should do is an OCLT Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if something is trying to grow. If you pass that then you really need to look at your CYA level and confirm you have good testing technique, the CYA test is one of the hardest to get right, and proper lighting is key (outdoors with full sun to your back, tube held in your shadow at waist level). See the CYA testing videos on youtube.

VinDeeLoo - Yes, pool is in full sun pretty much all day ( ~ 8:30am - ~ 6:00pm )

Isaac1 - I haven't done an OCLT test in a while. Aside from this FC drop issue I really haven't seen a need to do one. How often is an OCLT suggested? I was looking for input from other area pool owners due to a similarity in weather.

Other chemistry:
CH 350
TA 70 (although today's MA will probably drop it to ~60)
CYA 50
BOR 40 (relying on pool store borates test, have not yet purchase own borates test)

Pool is clear and no other issues that I'm aware of.

Thank you!

KatyTX, don't have my notebook with me but I know I add 2 ppm each day and my FC levels have been pretty stable or even creeping up over time. My CYA is ~50, and my pool gets sun from late morning through sunset. If you are confident your chlorine is actually 12.5% (seems like your Saturday test confirmed it was ok?) I support the OCLT recommendation, hopefully gives you peace of mind you don't have to SLAM again.....!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did an OCLT and lost nothing (FC 7.5 at 9:55pm last night and same thing this morning at 6:10). Yeah! No more SLAMmies! If you're old enough you'll get the game show reference.
Sounds like people in my area and similar situations also experience a drop of 3-4 FC on a daily basis, especially if it's a sunny day. Thank you for the feedback! Think I might celebrate no more SLAMmies on National Beer Lovers Day with a beer by the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.