Taylor K-2006

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
Tried my first test with the Taylor K-2006. Also got a pool store analysis to compare.

FC: 5
CC: 0.5 (pool store test said 0, I wasn't sure on this one, it was a very, very light shade of pink)
PH: 8.0
TA:90
CY:80

Calcium Hardness test: Added the 20 drops of R-0010, swirled, added 5 drops of R0011L. It turned blue. Does this mean I need to add calcium chloride?

On the high PH test, it took me 4 drops to get to 7.2, looking at the tables, I think I need to add 2.29qts of muriatic acid. Does this right?

I am using trichlor tabs. I know it's a bad word on this site, but I just got this house with a pool and was left with a big bucket of this tabs and have been just maintaining what the previous owners were doing. Wanted to give as much info as possible about my setup in my signature.

but I just got this house with a pool and was left with a big bucket of this tabs and have been just maintaining what the previous owners were doing.
I remember a Simpsons episode where Homer got sick from eating some spoiled food but had a lot left over so he had to keep eating it.

Ditch the pucks. Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

You really need to stop on the Trichlor now, you can save it and use it later (while on vacation, or in the spring if CYA drops over the winter due to rain dilution, etc.) At 80 ppm CYA you are already well over the suggested CYA range, and getting close to the unmaintainable levels, and with every trichlor puck it just keeps going up.

Thanks everyone. I'm ready to make the switch off the tabs. I am a little gun shy with all this stuff, but I'm ready. I swung in the pool store on my lunch break just see of they even sold liquid chlorine and the guy said, "I wish, it's good stuff, state law in TN doesn't allow it". Anyway, guess I'm going with bleach.

I did have a few questions that might be kind of dumb so bear with me:

-If trichlor tabs lower the PH, why am continually getting 7.8-8.0 PH levels and adding MA to bring the PH down? Maybe my area's water is just high PH?

-Why don't they make tabs that DON'T add CYA?

How new is your plaster? They raise pH for the first year or so. Also water features/spas. Also, if you keep adding acid the TA will drop and you might find a happy place even with bleach. 7.8 is an ok place to be.

They do (kinda). Cal-Hypo (adds CH) and lithium hypochlorite is supposedly super expensive. They are both powders.

It's at least about 4 months old. The previous owner told me they had resurfaced recently, but I didn't get an exact time frame so I don't know for sure. Spa is separate from pool, but I do have a rock waterfall water feature that flows when the pump runs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I performed this test this morning when I saw your reply. I did last nights test around 730. The sun was going down, but it was not dark. Did this mornings test at about 645 am, well before any sunlight was hitting the pool. FC was 8.0.

Will this work? I can do it again tonight and follow the exact instructions if need be.

Thanks everyone. I'm ready to make the switch off the tabs. I am a little gun shy with all this stuff, but I'm ready. I swung in the pool store on my lunch break just see of they even sold liquid chlorine and the guy said, "I wish, it's good stuff, state law in TN doesn't allow it". Anyway, guess I'm going with bleach.

I did have a few questions that might be kind of dumb so bear with me:

-If trichlor tabs lower the PH, why am continually getting 7.8-8.0 PH levels and adding MA to bring the PH down? Maybe my area's water is just high PH?

-Why don't they make tabs that DON'T add CYA?

Head over to Home Depot and see if they sell "chlorinating liquid". Compare prices (and make sure the Julian date isn't very old on the box). I think the guy thought you were asking for chlorine gas - his answer doesn't sound right to me.

I remember a Simpsons episode where Homer got sick from eating some spoiled food but had a lot left over so he had to keep eating it.

Ditch the pucks.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry for not adding anything helpful, but you are in good hands and on the verge of making great choices regarding your pool care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.