POOL water too high.. How to drain? What do the levers do?

Simmer

Aug 25, 2016
FLORIDA KEYS
OK... the pool water is too high in my pool, so the skimmer door isn't functioning correctly. How do I lower the water?

Do I need an external water pump, or can I just drain with one of the many levers I have?

The main pool has one skimmer and two smaller floor drains The spa has two of the same style floor drains as well.

I have a few levers

1. main drain lever
2. Skimmer lever
3. Spa Suction lever
4. ( i think return spa or pool lever)

Any id

Most cartridge filters do not have a way to backwash or pump to waste. That being said, some do have a hose bib or a valve installed to allow pumping water out. It may be best to post a picture of your pool equipment - especially of the pump and filter areas - and we can see if you have an easy way to pump some water out.

If you don't have something as above, you will need some type of pump to pump excess water out -or you may be able to siphon is out.

I don't think you can backwash a cartridge filter. Here is what i quickly googled. This is how I clean my cartridge at least.

There is no backwash valve on a cartridge filter because today's pool filter cartridges aren't built for backwards flow. Instead, the pump is shut off, air bleeder opened to drain the tank, lid removed, cartridge(s) removed, hosed thoroughly top to bottom, and replaced.

Ok, Simmer. Can you get a siphon going? You can use a garden hose or your bigger vacuum hose if you have one, to set it up. Submerge the tubing/hose into the pool to fill all of it with water. Then, leave one end in the pool, cover the other end with your hand and go somewhere in your yard that is lower than the pool depth. Release your hand and you should get a siphon effect so it drains.

Simmer read your response correct me if wrong but are you saying "take cartridge filters out of pump, replace lid, tighten etc, then run system without cartridges but with bottom pump drain exit open to allow pump water to drain thereby exiting the pool water at much faster clip / volume than merely through garden hose at the plumbed-in spigot spot on PCV pipe" ? thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.