Sta-Rite heater won't stay lit

Open up the unit and flip the round top over and see if any of the status LED's are lit. One could be lit which could potentially tell you what's going on.

It's probably 6-8 years old. I bought this house used from previous owner who is a pool builder and installed. It worked fine last winter. One item of note... it flooded here in Houston this past April and there was standing water for a few hours up probably 6-8" on the heater. It stays lit anywhere from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes.

I would check to see if there is water in the canister. Remove the bottom bolt from the header and see if water comes out. If it does, it could mean you might have a leaking heat exchanger in which case the unit is done for.

The unit was never completely submerged was it? Water completely covering it.

See the 4 bolts under my hand? The lowest bolt is the one Paul is referring to. You may also want to check the therm regulator. Its what my finger is pointing to. Just unscrew that cap, there is a spring in there so careful once you get the cap off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hold it with a pair of pliers and then use a lighter to heat the bottom of it and see if the opens. Some people also put them in boiling water as well. Either way it will tell you if that part is working.

If it has a scale build up on it then likely it will have issues opening up.

Then that part is working ok then.

Inside the heater is a metal box which houses some wiring and the Fenwall module. There is an LED on the Fenwal. After to fires up and then shuts down, is the LED blinking?

Oh that unit is done for. Looks like the top has rusted away and no you do not have a sealed canister. I wouldn't do anything but replace the heater.

Glad you posted the pictures. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Many times we hunt for answers to help people here and then when a picture or two gets posted, the problem becomes clearer.

I figured that was the case when I saw the corrosion and fire showing through. Just curious... is this whats making it shut down? Or could it be something else and just a matter of time before the corrosion gets worse? I can't even get it to turn on now. I will replace the heater. Sta-bil or Mastertemp a better heater?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.