Take down or close?

May 18, 2015
Clarksville
I have an intex ultraframe 18/52 pool. I live in clarksville tn. most recommend you take the intex pool down every season to avoid damage to the lining or structural damage. however, last year at end of season, after going to the trouble of taking it down, we had a very mild winter. the winter before was rough but still not as bad as some other areas.

personally, I felt it was way more work to drain and take it down than it is to put it up. I almost don't wanna go out and do it again this year if I can avoid it. but still I'm a little scared about it.

I've seen youtube videos of where ppl just drained it down below the holes in the liner used for pump connections, and cover with netting or a winterizing pool cover. the end result was fine for them.

so I just wanted to post here, because I'd like to see your opinions on what you think would be best.

note, I use tapatalk to get on this forum from my phone so the information I provided above is not in my signature. sorry. I had put it there before and was told by some of you that they couldn't see it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I think it's harder on the liners to take them down and fold them up than it is to just leave them up. I've had mine up for 3 years with no issues.

I think it's harder on the liners to take them down and fold them up than it is to just leave them up. I've had mine up for 3 years with no issues.

That's the reason why we chose our Intex. I know several locals that leave theirs up over the winter with no problems. I plan on leaving ours up but storing the pump, SWG, and multi port valve from sand filter inside my garage. The only reason I would take it down would be if we upgraded our size.

would the original cover that came with the pool be sufficient for use as a winter cover or should I get a winter cover? what about those big air pillows that claim to absorb freezing water from top of pool cover that you put on top? do they work?

The problem with the covers that they come with is that they have holes in them. Over the winter as leaves and snow pile up on them, they will sink into the water. Then as it warms up, that water on top gets all black and nasty. You have to pump it off before you can open up your pool.

If your can put something underneath it to keep it from sinking, like those pillows, then it works okay. I use my solar blanket under mine.

I think you have to get rope to tie the pillow in place. The pillow I used was pretty useless by the end of winter because it was mostly deflated and did not do much to hold the cover up. This winter I am going to try using an Intex raft upside down in the pool to see if it works any better.

I left my 18' and my 26' up. I drained about a foot, closed the valves and removed thes and filter and pump. I didn't cover it. I might cover it during the fall to avoid the leaves. I had a minimal amount of algae last year, because I had some leaves all winter. I think I will remove the cover after the leaves are done, not sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would just leave it. mine is already drained down quite a bit cuz of vacuuming to waste. I went out of town for 3 weeks and nobody took care of it or maintained it.
so I came back home to a green pool. I got it cleared up tho. gonna leave enough water in there so the pump can run, so I can bring all the levels up for winter.

I've taken mine down the last two winters. This year I plan to leave it up. My pool is 15', and I bought an 18' cover so the cover can lay on the water (lowered below the intake opening) with plenty of overhang.

I also bought a pillow (came as a package deal) and will have a couple of the Intex Sit & Float deals that the seats have torn off of all tied together to raise the center. If they make it through the winter - wonderful - if not, oh well. Also got a leaf net that I'll leave on until the leaves stop- lots of trees around!

Here in Maryland we can get everything from -5-degree snaps to daytime 60's, and have had close to
3 feet of snow at once within the past few years. So - the point is anything can happen, but I should be able to pull off the leaf net and dump leaves off and shop vac water off the cover regularly enough to keep any gunk and water mostly off.

We'll see if I was successful next spring!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.