Wait until pool water is 60 degrees to close?

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
I'm in Little Rock and just bought a new cover and was looking forward to closing after labor day when I freshen up on the closing instructions in this forum.

Seems to me the cost of cleaning up green pool in May is less than the cost of maintaining a pool for the next four weeks while i wait for the water to drop that low.

Is there anything wrong with the way I'm thinking, ie- something else to consider?

I can't imagine a reasonable tradeoff between the cost of chlorine over a month being more expensive in inital cost and time of doing it than chancing opening to a green pool and the same costs involved in doing all that.

Thats certainly one way to lool at it.

Look at my posts and you'll see a black to clear pool in seven days. Maybe 10 gallons of bleach. I'll have the time next spring.

What does it cost to run a pool a month now- ten gallons of bleach and my time. And the pump.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My energy costs is about 9.8 cents per kilowatt by the way for the engineers out there. I think I've read other forums about running a pump. While I always thought it costs about $20 a month to run it, sure does seem like about $50.

You have to do what you think is best for you. 5 minutes a day to add bleach in the fall or a week straight of slam in the spring.

How much you running the pump? Only need 2-4 hours now per day VS 24 hours in a slam.

You have to do what you think is best for you. 5 minutes a day to add bleach in the fall or a week straight of slam in the spring.

How much you running the pump? Only need 2-4 hours now per day VS 24 hours in a slam.
Thanks, running the pump significantly less will help. I was thinking it wasn't wise to run less than 8 hours a day.

Just run the pump a couple of hours to mix in the bleach and filter the water, vacuum once a week if there is any debris on the floor. If you close now the pool will probably be green in a week or two. The longer it is green, the longer it takes to clear.

I have a couple of thoughts on this process. So I have had this pool open for probably 2 weeks with only two to four hours of the pump running a day. Is there any thought that 2 hours is not enough to circulate any chlorine that you have to add?

The pool had a little algae sprout earlier this week. Scrubbed it, shocked it with bleach, and then vacuumed to waste.

I may have a little difficulty reading the color chart to tell how much chlorine is in the pool. It may have gotten below the minimum.

My wife is colorblind I think, so I just ordered more R-871?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally got the R-871, and let me say it was rather quickly [thank you], and I think the problem with reading the chart sometimes is that my chlorine is well over 5 ppm [the top of the chart].

I'm staring and asking my wife it is 3 or 5...and it's 8.5!

Anyway, I'll give it a shot leaving this pool open another month. Thanks for the tips!

I'm closing it today folks. Thanks much expense to keep it open... and time. Those who suggest leaving it open love your pools more than I. Even if I have a black pool in April- I'm ready, see my picture from April 2016
dc88b6a75b3cd19031e43b8e44fda774.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, pool closing is also an aesthenic issue but one that isn't often mentioned. I think one difference is leaving an inground pool open is just sort of nice to look at, whereas you probably aren't getting to look at much more than the sides of your pool, right? So closing it early isn't denying you that view and will save you money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.