Help !!! Daughters pool is swamp green

Jun 17, 2016
inman ,s.c.
Hi ,my daughter just bought a house with an above ground pool with swg and hayward sand filter and floxl .we just uncovered it last weekend and the water was crystal clear but the pump was broken so we ordered a new pump and my husband just installed it last night and got it up and running ,but the pool turned swamp green over the last few days . we put 2 bags of salt and a bottle of shock ,they are going to add more this morning . there were tons of tadpoles which they tried to save as many as possible and pine needles but we got most of those out and they have been dumoing the skimmer every couple of hours . can anyone tell us what to do or does the filter just neecd to keep running until it clears up .?? Thanks for any advice

Welcome to TFPC :wave: You have found the place that can offer you the best pool advice on the web or really anywhere.

My best, first piece of advice is this, "Stay away from the pool $tore" Unless recommended for specific reasons.

The first thing you need is a testkit. Since the pool has gone green, I would recommend ordering a TF-100 with XL option from TFTestkits.net Many folks add the speed stir option since it makes the testing almost fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Next step is to remove any debris you can see. The more you get out, the faster you can get her pool cleared up.

- - - Updated - - -

After that you need to read a few pages of info. Don't worry that it doesn't all make sense right away, it will over the next few days.

Start with: Pool School - Pool School

- - - Updated - - -

Then read: Pool School - Getting Started

- - - Updated - - -

While you are waiting for the testkit to arrive, read this: Pool School - Defeating Algae
Read it a number of times.

- - - Updated - - -

ASK QUESTIONS!! The more you ask, the more you know. The better was can help.

- - - Updated - - -

We love pictures. It is important to take pictures of the pool at least once a day. Pick a spot with stairs or a ladder and take the pic facing down them. That way you, and we, can see the progress.

Hi thank you we did do the back wash and added more chemicals . I told them to read up and if all that doesnt work we may have to replace the sand .we had a cartridge filter before so werent familiar with the sand . I am going to have to educate myself soon as are about to get a lined inground . Thanks again .