Should I really get oversized cell? v. Hayward

Yes. The total cost of ownership is lower when you go big. See here -

Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators

- - - Updated - - -

Money quote -

So it should be very clear from the above table that to get significant savings one really has to use the larger cell sizes of the IC60 (or at least the IC40) for Pentair Intellichlor and the T-CELL-15 (not LL) for the Hayward AquaRite. This assumes that the cells actually last as long as indicated based on usage and that they do not degrade at all based on time alone. [EDIT] Note that the larger cells will output higher FC out of the returns (see this post) so for lower pump flow rates and/or smaller pools that could be too high an FC. [END-EDIT]

The Hayward system let's you control in increments of 1%. That would be more than enough of a fine scale.

Also with an SWG pool, you typically need to run your pump longer to generate the necessary amount of FC. In a pool with an undersized SWG that can mean 12+ hours or more of run time. So using a larger cell will allow you to keep your pump run times down to a more cost effective level.

Bigcarbs, we have a t-15 and our pool is about 6K. No problem here just adjust the settings and find the sweet spot.:D

Studies show running a pool pump for 3-4 hrs is about all that is needed. For us with a SWG we run longer depending on FC demand and SWG size. Most pools loose around 2ppm of FC a day. A T-15 cell @ 100% makes 1.4lbs of FC a day so it takes 2.9hrs to make 2ppm of FC. A T-9 cell @ 100% makes .7lbs a day so it would take 5.8hrs to make 2ppm of FC for your pool. So get the T-15. If you need to run your pump longer you can decrease the cell generation percentage.

Since you have a lot going on, automation can really help. It makes sure that the vsp and salt system work together. You can automate other things as well (lights, valves, solar etc.). Consider everything you want to control and look into the aquaplus and prologic options to see what will do what you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Studies show running a pool pump for 3-4 hrs is about all that is needed. For us with a SWG we run longer depending on FC demand and SWG size. Most pools loose around 2ppm of FC a day. A T-15 cell @ 100% makes 1.4lbs of FC a day so it takes 2.9hrs to make 2ppm of FC. A T-9 cell @ 100% makes .7lbs a day so it would take 5.8hrs to make 2ppm of FC for your pool. So get the T-15. If you need to run your pump longer you can decrease the cell generation percentage.

Mine seems to loose a bit more than that so I guess I'll go with the T-15

With a single speed pump, power to the pump and swg both come from the same switch. That way, the swg can't operate without the pump on. However, a variable speed pump has power all the time and is controlled by the onboard controller. The swg is also powered all the time. When the pump controller turns off the pump, the swg "should" turn off due to no flow. This works most of the time. However, the swg installation instructions warn that the power supply should be turned off when the pump turns off. This creates two safety interlocks to prevent the swg from running with no flow. If the swg runs with no flow, there could be a buildup of chlorine and hydrogen gas that could explode.

Most likely you will be fine with only one safety interlock.

So what I'm looking at for the automation is Hayward Goldline PL-PLUS ProLogic 40,000-Gallon Electronic Pool Chlorinator. With this I essentially run power to that box and that will control everything from there? I will be able to remove the current timer/power box as well as the pentair solar controller box? Are the solar temp sensors generic to where I can plug them right into this Hayward unit from the pentair?

From what I gather I can get more control of the color on my Hayward LED light using this as well as turning on the power for my landscape lighting. I think this may be the answer. Also I'm pretty sure I read about ability to change pump speed with solar on vs off

I simply have my solar controller connected to the VS pump (both are Pentair) then a simple intermatic timer turns power to my SWG (Hayward) on and off. The pump's onboard timer/controller controls pump speeds and programs. The SWG timer is set to power the SWG during a time that I know the pump will be running. Any time heat is called for and available at the solar panels, the controller opens the valve and ramps up the pump speed. It all works fine with no automation system.

I simply have my solar controller connected to the VS pump (both are Pentair) then a simple intermatic timer turns power to my SWG (Hayward) on and off. The pump's onboard timer/controller controls pump speeds and programs. The SWG timer is set to power the SWG during a time that I know the pump will be running. Any time heat is called for and available at the solar panels, the controller opens the valve and ramps up the pump speed. It all works fine with no automation system.

That sounds like an easier setup tbh. My solar controller is older unit and doesn't change pump speed so I currently just run it at 65% which is enough to get the water through the collectors. My current power box has an unused timer in there so I could use that to power a basic SWG.

To work together the pump and solar controller need to communicate. That generally means the same brand. I don't know what's available in Hayward, but my Pentair SolarTouch control cost about $125, was a breeze to install and does everything I need. Allows me to run my SWG at 1400 rpm and when solar comes on it ramps speed to 2400. You can setup any speeds you need and only use enough to effectively handle each task. I have speeds set for AM cleaning, SWG chlorination, extra slow filtration and the solar controller is set for a seperate speed selected to support the heating.

To work together the pump and solar controller need to communicate. That generally means the same brand. I don't know what's available in Hayward, but my Pentair SolarTouch control cost about $125, was a breeze to install and does everything I need. Allows me to run my SWG at 1400 rpm and when solar comes on it ramps speed to 2400. You can setup any speeds you need and only use enough to effectively handle each task. I have speeds set for AM cleaning, SWG chlorination, extra slow filtration and the solar controller is set for a seperate speed selected to support the heating.

I didn't see anything like that from Hayward but my pentair just has the temp knob, no communication with pump. I just run it when the sun is out and it's been working good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.