Suction side pool cleaner to assist floor pop-ups

Sep 13, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys, my pool is a 15k gallon kidney bean kind of shape with largest measurements of 20' x 30'. I have a non variable speed pump, that has a skimmer and main drain, so no dedicated suction inlet for a suction side cleaner. The returns are by way of jets on side of pool, and 19 in-floor pop-up cleaners. I run my pump 4 hours a night, during intense, hot, summer of phoenix. I still have a lot of dirt and some leaves in the bottom of pool. I want to get a suction side cleaner, to work with the in-floor pop up heads. My thought is to run the in-floor pop ups the same time as the suction side cleaner to do double duty cleaning. I understand I will lose my skimmer function. Having the floor clean is much better. What can you guys recommend?

Any reason why you're not considering a robot?

More expensive up-front but they will generally do a MUCH BETTER job than a suction cleaner and they only need a wall outlet to power them, no excessive pump runtimes...without a variable speed pump and without a dedicated wall port, getting the right flow rate using a skimmer plate and flow diverter is going to be a royal PITA not to mention the vacuum plates almost always pop off when your not there to babysit them.

My thought is to run the in-floor pop ups the same time as the suction side cleaner to do double duty cleaning. I understand I will lose my skimmer function. Having the floor clean is much better. What can you guys recommend?
The cleaner would likely get hung up on the heads so probably not a good idea.

I agree with the robotic idea and you might find it does such a good job that you don't need to run the in-floors at all and might save some in energy costs.

i bet you could save and recoup your money if you installed a variable speed pump, ran it as low as you could, and bought a robot. i don't even use my pop ups anymore because of my robot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.