New pool in Central FL, First time Owner

Aug 1, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
So like the Title says...I'm getting a pool built. I have been reading here for a while, and love the information I have absorbed. I am a little behind on providing all the information, so I'll present a lot all at once.

The permits were approved at the beginning of August, and work started shortly after.

The stats:

32 x 16.5 Free form in ground
Pool SqFt: 434 Sqft
Depth: 3.5’ to 6’
Interior:
Pool Light: 1 Pentair color changing LED
Pump: Pentair VS3050
Salt System: Pentair IC-40
Filter System: Pentair c+c 200
Features: 2 Pentair DeckJets, 3 ECO in bottom
Decking: 561 sqft
Screen Enclosure

p1.jpg
Sod Removed (The fence is coming down, and can go back 5 ft.)

p2.jpg
The Layout

p3.jpg
The Dig

Monkey,

Welcome to TFP... Thanks for posting the pics. Everyone here likes to see construction pics.

Do you plan on an automation system to control your IC40 and lights?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome! We were in Lake Mary for a couple of years before we built our house in Winter Garden - it's a great area. What are you doing for your decking? We just got the approvals for our permit and HOA so we hope to start our build soon. Similar size as yours with screen. Look forward to seeing your progress!

I'm sorry for the late reply, nice holiday weekend.

I'm not doing any automation at the moment, I just didn't see the need for it. If I ever feel the need, I'll purchase online and install myself.

For decking I'm doing pavers, easier for me to fix if settling occurs.. Poured concrete scares me for cracking. I don't want to have to seal natural stone. I worked with granite for several years, and the yearly hassle of sealing becomes tedious.

I will upload more pics later today. Hopefully they will shoot the shell today or tomorrow. The storm delayed everything a little.

0GpTGBf.jpg

60ScjMk.jpg

So my pool shell is complete, and plumbing will start next week. I was wondering if I should be concerned about the gunite around the one plumbing fixture in the bottom?

Pxd5W50.jpg

I feel like jumping in, but it may hurt a little.

ZyRJkL2.jpg

Should I be concerned about this?

Right!!! No jumping in yet!!! I may be corrected, but my gunite looked very much the same - worse in some places. When the plaster is put in, it fills in everything beautifully. The crew will nicely round the step/bench edges, fill in any chipped places, and correct minor boo-boos. In my shallow end, I had a definite recessed area in the gunite. It looked like its own miniature pond - obvious after a rain. I pointed it out to the plaster crew to make sure they saw it. As far as I can tell, they filled it in nicely with the plaster. Of course it wouldn't be evident anyway with the pool filled, but since filling the pool, I've inspected the area under water and from walking over the area, I don't feel any sunken area.

Congrats on your pool build! The gunite makes it finally seem real; the plaster makes it beautiful; the water makes it FUN!!!!!

Thank you for the answer. It makes me feel better.

The supervisor came out, and did not like the grating. Saw the excavators out this morning.

I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted a build on here. It really gave me a true feeling of what the build process is like. I'm normally not the most patient person, but with the build I've learned to relax and just come home and admire what has been done. The supervisor comes out and examines the work, and everything seems in good order. My neighbor is the one that thinks it is taking too long....lol.

So my yard was dug up to do the plumbing....

I have no idea why my skimmer is plumbed so high? I figured I'll wait and see what happens.

pf8gOGt.jpg

Since this is my first pool, could someone explain to me what the black dome is on the right?

I find it totally interesting to see how other parts of the country do a pool differently. For instance my plumbing was complete prior to gunite and prior to the steel. I have seen others do steel then plumbing, and yours is done after gunite... I think it really means that all ways work. Not one appears to be better than the other...

It does not look like the skimmer is set yet. I would guess they are going to lower it and set in when they do the coping?

As to the black dome... that is for the gears to run your in-floor cleaning. It rotates the pipes that are used to power the heads that pop up. In other words, your infloor cleaning heads will alternate when the heads pop up.. the way yours is plumbed it will have two different sections that pop up. The water comes up through the middle pipe and then distributed to one side or the other at a time, if that makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I find it totally interesting to see how other parts of the country do a pool differently. For instance my plumbing was complete prior to gunite and prior to the steel. I have seen others do steel then plumbing, and yours is done after gunite... I think it really means that all ways work. Not one appears to be better than the other...

It does not look like the skimmer is set yet. I would guess they are going to lower it and set in when they do the coping?

As to the black dome... that is for the gears to run your infloor cleaning. It creates a "swirl" from my understanding, that powers the heads that pop up.

Thanks for the information. I also enjoy seeing how the different builds happen. I sit in front of a computer all day, and somehow seem to find myself here a lot....lol.

Looking good! Looks like they set the skimmer during the tiling phase. Curious if they encased it in new concrete yet?

They just started tile and coping on my build and tile guys said they will set the skimmer after tile is in. Wonder why they do it this way in Central FL, as most installs I see on the forum have the skimmer set during the gunite phase.

Looking good! Looks like they set the skimmer during the tiling phase. Curious if they encased it in new concrete yet?

They just started tile and coping on my build and tile guys said they will set the skimmer after tile is in. Wonder why they do it this way in Central FL, as most installs I see on the forum have the skimmer set during the gunite phase.

I am very happy with the tile work, I don't see a single cut tile along the top edge. It almost seems like it was a perfectly measured area to tile size.

They have done a few things that seemed "different", but it has worked out so far. They originally had the skimmer plumbed and installed, and then cut it out. I guess they had to set it temporarily to pass a plumbing inspection. As of yesterday they did not encase the skimmer in concrete, but I know they still have to pour for footers, so I am not worried.

Pavers are complete!!!! Screen and plaster are next.

My deck is not as big as most on here. We won't have many people over, and just wanted our own slice of paradise. It also allows us to maintain a decent size backyard after we move the fencing back.

Completed electric
Ihylhsa.jpg

ssbfLCk.jpg

Kg5zGez.jpg

qvbdrdo.jpg

SnyXDZc.jpg

plplwjS.jpg

I think it is time to get a test kit, and figure out what to put in the planters. Anyone have suggestions for plants under a screen in FL?

How did I miss a FLORIDA build??? Loving what I see so far!

Yes it is time to get your test kit.

As for plants..........don't ask me....I have a BLACK thumb so we tore out all of the grass in the pool yard and put down stepping stones and white, marble stones LOL Now give me a dog or cat and they grow HUGE under my care and I do not mean fat. For some reason my dogs all tend to grow taller than normal for the breeds they are made of.

Here is a set of links I put together for new pool owners. I share it when the gunite is put in. That gives you time to do some reading and learning.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

What plaster are you going with?

Kim:kim:

I'm happy you can grow animals well, but not plants. It would be really sad if it was reversed...lol.

We are having a Wet Edge Pearl Tahoe for the interior. My wife wanted a more relaxed color.

If anyone else has ideas for plants/trees under a cage please chime in.

Thanks

James

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.