1st time pool closer

derryank

Gold Supporter
Apr 4, 2015
Boston MA
Hi everyone,

Sadly, it's time. :(

I've read the closing stickies...however, the SLAM process, specifically the SHOCK level has me confused.

I plugged in the numbers in PoolMath...is it really that much chlorine???

Also, I have a SWG, I must turn this off before I add the chlorine to observe the results?

Thanks for all your help. I'm probably two weeks out, yet I want to have my ducks in a row.

Much appreciated as always.

It is best to close when your water temperature is below 60 as algae has a hard time reproducing in cold water. Closing before you water gets to 60 is asking for a green swamp when you open. Usually many SWGs will stop producing chlorine before you water reaches 60 degrees, so you should be supplementing your FC until your pool gets cold enough to close. The good news is that you won't have to had much bleach during this time because there will be less for the FC to kill. So that is long winded whay of saying yes you turn your SWG off when you raise the FC levels to SLAM level.

FC is buffered by CYA, so the high FC is tempered by the CYA. So a pool with FC of 2 ppm and zero CYA is much more harsh than a pool with FC of 24 and a CYA of 50. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

What is your current FC and what is your current CYA?

If I plug in your pool size and a current FC of 4 and target FC of 28, yes I get 480 oz or just shy of 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

If your CYA is 70, you should keep your FC near target of 5, letting it get down the minimum is asking for trouble. I tend to keep mine just above target so that I don't have issues on really hot days for days with a lot of action from my lab/otter mix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.