Zodiac MX8 Elite vs Hayward Navigator (Pro or V-Flex)

May 25, 2015
Weston/FL
Looking to get some opinions comparing the Zodiac MX8 or the Hayward Navigator. Also, any comparison between the Pro or V-Flex models of the Navigator are welcome.

Im in need of a new cleaner and my local dealer is running a great sale ($200 off either of the above units) so my timing couldn't be better.

I can't say anything about the Hayward units as I've no experience with them. I do have the MX8 elite and am very happy with it. It was easy to set up climbs the walls to the tile line and doesn't get stuck or confused. The rubber scrubbers on it do a good job polishing the pool surface.

Had the MX-8 (two of them) for five years. Finally gave up on it this summer and got the little Hayward with the feet that crawls around. MX-8 did a much better job of cleaning, but it chews through gearboxes every month or more. At $35 each, that is just too much...

Had the MX-8 (two of them) for five years. Finally gave up on it this summer and got the little Hayward with the feet that crawls around. MX-8 did a much better job of cleaning, but it chews through gearboxes every month or more. At $35 each, that is just too much...

That's weird. I have had mine for a year and a half with no probs yet (knock on wood)

I can't answer to the Zodiac, but I've had two V-Flex in the last 6 mos. I'm not happy with it. It works great for about 2-3 mos, then the turbine bearings develop an odd wear on one side of the lower body housing inside the "square" housing that contains the turbine. My guess is it's "odd" because of the way the A-frame rocks back and forth. Anyway, what eventually happens is the cleaner stops momentarily, but the cone gear continues to turn. In a short amount of time (say 20-30 mins) the hose is now twisted. This essentially turns my 30' hose into a 8-10' hose. When the cleaner attempts to move beyond that 8-10' length of hose, it topples over in a direction to untwist the hose, causing the cleaner to tumble. Then, starts the process all over again. Needless to say, it has pretty much scratched up the outer housing of the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.