Need some help locking down pool design

Jul 17, 2016
Cumming, GA
All,

Thanks to this forum and posters here for helping me on my journey so far. My wife and I are somewhat torn on the overall shape we want for our pool and the PB's we're working with seem to just want to crank out a cookie-cutter design that they have in their portfolio; problem is we've not found one that pops out at us. We decided to go with a general lagoon shape but after seeing people's pools and looking at photos we want to go with a more modern, Geo-metric design. I'd like some suggestions from those that have built or build pools on what would look right for our house so I've included a snapshot of my plat and house overview; I have no way to be more detailed as I'd like to be.

Any ideas guys?

Plat-with-house.jpg

It's so hard to make a decision. I've seen so many beautiful geometric pools lately that I've flip-flopped in my head on them but I have a hard time seeing kids and their pool toys all over it. I usually think of them as more stylish than I can manage. Your lot looks like it could accommodate a beautiful pool of any shape. Think about how you'll use it for the next 15-20 years before making a final decision. Keep us posted on the direction you take.

Geometric designs have to be so specific. To me your yard looks to be begging for a well design free form. How big of a pool are you looking at? Any approximate dimensions? Maybe draw on your plat or upload a copy of a survey to also show which direction and placement in the yard you would like to see. That will be helpful also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us a bit about you. Kids in the house, or all grown? Do you think a move is in your future, or are you planning to be buried in the back yard?

Singke kid, he's 5 years old. My wife and I have no plans on moving. The pool will be used for family entertainment, social get togethers and a spa for my wife and I to relax. Hope this helps...

Tell us a bit about you. Kids in the house, or all grown? Do you think a move is in your future, or are you planning to be buried in the back yard?

- - - Updated - - -

This is is my concern, that a lagoon'ish pool will be out of style in 10 years. Not to mention a desire to swim some laps but I don't just want a boring rectangle.

We we had a PB blow us off because we didn't know precisely what we wanted. Somewhat suprised at that after all we asked for advice and options, appertly we were supposed to give the builder a design to work from.

I'm all for classic, timeless designs myself.

To me, some of these lagoon builds are going to look very out dated in time. They're throwing so much fake boulder up that sometimes that stuff is as big as the pool and too many curves in the pool cuts in to the actual swim/play area, in my opinion.

For some gorgeous ideas I would suggest looking at Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design and http://www.pinterest. Lots of pics!

Do you have an existing patio space? Outdoor kitchen? Is that a part of your plan or future add?

Can you post pics of the back of the house?

From inside the house, do you want a view of the pool or of patio or of garden? You have a large yard, so you have a LOT of options available.

We're not done with our build yet, but way way back in the long long ago, we started a Houzz account and started adding pools and design elements to it. It became clear very early on what we were drawn to and that helped to drive our design. We went geometric and modern trying to capture a Balinese flavor to it because close to 50% of the pools and designs we liked were all either Bali villa rental pools or modern Australian style.

plat.

Here's a nice geometric setup that would work well along the right back side of your property extending out from your house. It would leave the whole left 2/3 of your backyard still open.

You'll probably want the gathering area close to the house, but I think that pools with pool houses/structures opposite them look great. That setup also encourages you to escape from the gravitational pull of the house a bit more. I can attest to that as we have a destination pool, which is about 75' from our back door.

Inground-swimming-pool-with-pool-house.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed! Start saving pictures of pools and features you like and that will help plant more firmly in your mind the design elements you know you're set on having. My pool has a straight back wall so we could accommodate a nice swim lane and then has a freeform edge. You can design it to fit the space that works best for you. We use our pool the same way you described. I have 7 year old twins and it's mostly for socializing, entertaining friends, and relaxing in the spa. Now that we're finished there are little things we'd do differently. We originally looked at geometric designs and ended up with a hybrid shape of sorts. I've seen some beautiful geometric-ish shapes here as well as unique geometric. Go and read as many pool build threads as you can. That helped me a ton when figuring out our design!

So, I know it sounds boring, but I like rectangular. Easy to divide pool for kids (or adults) to play basketball or volleyball, clean lines, etc.

And darn it, Yippy! Now I'm going to waste the rest of the day on Houzz - that site is addictive!

- - - Updated - - -

I can't remember the guy from Amelia Island (or maybe Fernandina Beach) did a beautiful geometric pool with the fire thing. It was stunning. Anyone remember his name?

I think it was Amelia, and it was gorgeous. Searching!

- - - Updated - - -

Found it!

- - - Updated - - -

Look at this one - wow.

Rimless Negative Edge Pool.JPG

I dont have have a survey yet, I'm working on that. As for approximate pool dimensions, somewhere about 18' x 36' or so. Must have a Baja Shelf and a Spa, a bench somewhere would be great. Placement of the shallow end and spa closest to the house.

Geometric designs have to be so specific. To me your yard looks to be begging for a well design free form. How big of a pool are you looking at? Any approximate dimensions? Maybe draw on your plat or upload a copy of a survey to also show which direction and placement in the yard you would like to see. That will be helpful also!

- - - Updated - - -

I do not, let me snap some photos and post back...

Do you have an existing patio space? Outdoor kitchen? Is that a part of your plan or future add?

Can you post pics of the back of the house?

From inside the house, do you want a view of the pool or of patio or of garden? You have a large yard, so you have a LOT of options available.

We're not done with our build yet, but way way back in the long long ago, we started a Houzz account and started adding pools and design elements to it. It became clear very early on what we were drawn to and that helped to drive our design. We went geometric and modern trying to capture a Balinese flavor to it because close to 50% of the pools and designs we liked were all either Bali villa rental pools or modern Australian style.

plat.

You sure have plenty of space! As for shape/design, I really like how forgotten1 has incorporated the free form shelf into a geometric pool. That concept is something we are strongly considering to get the best of both worlds:
New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

- - - Updated - - -

I have close family in Cumming, GA as well - Pilgrim Mill Rd. Welcome to the site family neighbor!

yard1.jpgyard2.jpg

Here's from the deck looking out. Total is 1.37 acres for my lot so I do have plenty of space to play with. My septic field sits to the right of my yard, right where the playset is sitting so that area is out. I will very likely have to have the septic supply line from my tank (left side of house) moved out to accommodate but I'm assured that's minor.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm slightly north of there....

You sure have plenty of space! As for shape/design, I really like how forgotten1 has incorporated the free form shelf into a geometric pool. That concept is something we are strongly considering to get the best of both worlds:
New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

- - - Updated - - -

I have close family in Cumming, GA as well - Pilgrim Mill Rd. Welcome to the site family neighbor!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.