Pink stuff that looks like cotton candy

Syneca

Sep 2, 2016
Sharpsburg Ga
Hi All, I'm new to this forum and so very happy I have found you! I have been a pool owner most of my adult life and I have never seen anything like this before. We moved to this house in Dec and just finished having a pool put in (one of the most horrific experiences of my life but that story belongs in a different forum). Needless to say the pool is 15x30 and only 4ft deep I believe they call it a sport pool (love it, having amazing volleyball games).
Anyway, my water has been crystal clear and I do test it almost every other day. The water is still perfectly clear even when looking from under water, which is another reason this is completely blowing my mind. I took my water to the local pool store to have it tested because I started seeing this pink-ish stuff that sort of looks like cotton candy or cobwebs. Water tested perfectly everything in proper range but I was a little upset that my brand new pool had a CYA of 60, pool store said not to worry yet.
So, it comes right off but it basically disappears... Meaning if I use a screen to get some then all that remains on the screen a very tiny amount of pink that disappears when I touch it. If I vacuum it, I do not see anything anywhere not in the filter not in the basket nowhere. The guy at the pool store said he had never heard of anything like that because the only pink stuff he knows of is bacteria but that its more of a pink slime not what I'm describing. So I did some research on bacteria and was looking at some of the causes but the water moves great, the chemicals have been balanced since it was filled, it gets sunlight 90% of the day, there's not a trace of pink on either set of stairs but we did have a lot of rain about a week or 2 ago.
I never noticed it until after these 2 things: one was a snake in the pool about a foot long very thin and it somehow got in there while we were in it so we're pretty sure we got it quickly since it wasn't in there when we first went in. The second thing is that we had stone coping installed around the pool but they didn't seal it and they left it to me to do. I did call some other pool installers to come do it but none of them would since they didn't install the stone and they didn't want to be responsible. So I started my journey on finding sealers and I started with the top of the stone, then 2 days later I did the front of the stone that hangs over the pool and underneath them. I tried to be careful not to get any in the pool but seriously I'm not a pro and I'm certain some got in. The next day was when I first started seeing this pink stuff. I also noticed that some of the bristles on my paint brush turned pink.
After I noticed it the first time, I vacuumed and back washed. The next day there was still some but less so I vacuumed again and now today there's some on the walls but not as much as the days before.
I'm so confused and I really hope you can help me. Headed out back to vacuum again, thinking about shocking but will wait to see what you think.
Thank you very much for your time.

Didn't make a signature yet so here's my pool: 15x30x4 no deep end, in ground vinyl liner

Welcome. You'll soon find that most all of our advice is based on ACCURATE testing results. Please visit Pool School and do you and your pool a favor by ordering one of our recommended test kits if you don't already have one. What has been added to your pool? How did you get to a CYA of 60? How are you chlorinating?

Welcome to TFP!

It is called pink algae but it is really a bacteria. As with all things algae and bacteria the way to keep it away is with properly maintained chlorine levels. And the way to kill it and get rid of it is to SLAM Process. As Woody says, you'll need a good test kit for that. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net.

Welcome, we can help, but you need to post accurate test numbers and to do that you really need your own quality test kit (either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-Testkit TF-100) Personally I use and endorse the TF-100, as it is the better value in the long run plus they help support keeping this place going. If facing a SLAM like it looks you will be, I would strongly suggest the XL version which only costs a few dollars more but gives you double the testing reagent for the important FAS-DPD chlorine test. I know this is asking for you to make an investment in your pool to fix this, but we have found that pool store testing on average is so inaccurate to be useless, there is simply no incentive for them to bother doing the testing accurately, in fact from a sales point of view they can likely sell you more stuff if their test are wrong.

For now, add a gallon of 8.25% bleach to your pool each day until you get a good test kit. If you have stuff growing in your pool, your FC is obviously too low.

Don't use dry shock or tablets, as these will only raise your possibly already too high CYA level.

Syneca,
if you've been maintaining your pool per pool store method, and using pucks to chlorinate your pool, that why you have 60 CYA. Each puck you use adds CYA also.

As the CYA climbs, your FC becomes less and less effective because the CYA buffers it. If you dont raise the FC too, you get algae and other things.
If you've been maintaining your FC along pool store recommendations at 1-3, then thats your problem.

The pink stuff is known as cyano algae, but as others said, its really a bacteria. Cyano is most commonly found in Saltwater aquariums, but can grow in fresh water too if the conditions are favorable.

To remedy the issue, you need a good test kit so you can test yourself.
Then maintain your pool using these recommendations.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

And use pool math button at top of page to get to the pool chemical calculator so you know how much of something to add, ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.