Older SWG Performance Issues

Apr 7, 2016
Dacula/GA
When I check my 2005 T-Cell-15 SWG during flow/filtering it appears to always shows very low amps/salt levels (200 ppm) when in the negative mode but when I force it to switch to positive mode the salt levels look fine (3,000 ppm). I may have the negative and positive modes mixed up but forcing the unit to switch shows good instant salt levels. My test strips indicate the salt is somewhere around 3,000 ppm. I looked at the SWG unit and hosed it out but do not see any significant build up. I am filtering about 8 hours at 70% chlorine generation and it is barely holding in the high 3's on Chlorine ppm. My chemistry is shown below. Is this a typical symptom of a old SWG needing replacement? Also two months ago I had the K1 relay fail on my Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 PCB and replaced the entire board. At the time a Pool technician suggested I replace the T-Cell as well which I did not do. Is the board failure also a sign of a failing T-Cell? I appreciate any help or suggestions.

PH 7.4-7.8.....adding 32 oz muriatic acid 2x per week
Chlorine 3.8 DPD titration
Alkalinity 70
CYA 70
Salt 3000
CSI 0.05

Is the cell really 11 years old? That would be outstanding...usually they are 5 years tops. Generally when they fail, they will gradually read lower and lower salt levels even though the actual level remains constant. Eventually it will shut down due to this false low salt reading.

I'm a bit confused re: the amps and instant salt readings; the instant reading (negative) should approximately match the average reading (positive) shown on the display.

Welcome to TFP!

Those were the same symptoms my first T-15 cell had when it failed. You could try to see if a nearby pool store has a tester for it, most Leslie's have them.

The board and cell failures are not related.

I would say you have had great success if that system is 11 years old.

My swg was tested and is bad as I suspected. Since we are getting into fall I am considering postponing a purchase until late winter or early spring. I live in GA and do not close the pool for winter but the chlorine demand is very minimal during this time. Any suggestions on whether to add liquid chlorine or tablets through the winter or whether I ought to just replace the swg now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.