New pool motor running hot? Can't touch it for more than 5 seconds

Destro

Sep 1, 2016
Houston
Recently had my pool motor replaced due to the old one getting fried due to lack of water circulating (had a guest drain the pool on accident). While the motor is on and working, motor seems to work fine but I can only put my hand on it for 5 seconds or less before it gets too hot. My pool guy says it's fine (he's the one that installed it) but the guy has made so many mistakes that I don't have any confidence in what he says.

Pool Motor:
Century - B855
HP 2.0
Volts 230
amps SF 10.0
rpm 3450
frame Y56Y
shaft 1/2 threads
bearing ball brg

Electric motors are not 100% efficient. Say the motor is drawing 2300 Watts (10 Amps x 230 Volts) and is 80% efficient, it would dissipate 460 Watts of energy as heat. A 2 horsepower motor running continuously will feel hot to the touch. Ambient air temperature will add to this heat also. So hands off!

Do you know the pump make and model# (not motor info)? The B855 is an up rated motor and if you have a 2 HP full rated pump, then it will overload the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.