TFTestKit delivered. Should I test the tap water?

Yes, you can run all the tests on your tap water... but the CYA test probably is not necessary, as they don't put stabilizer in tap water... it will come back as "0", and you will have wasted your some of your supplies for nothing.
Running a test on your tap water will let you get familiar with the kit, and maybe let you know what you will be starting with when it comes time to start filling the pool.

TA and Calcium numbers are probably the most relevant to tap water. Though it is interesting to test FC levels out of the Tap.

That being said - your tap water numbers are not going to change much in terms of pool maintenance. Your Pool builder is doing the initial start up - yes?

PB is doing initial startup and first month maintenance. I don't want to interfere with their maintenance as it is part of the contract. But I will be checking the water routinely to begin to understand. I'm a first time pool owner. I don't really understand the chemicals until I apply what I have read here.

Thanks for the responses. I'll post the results soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testing your tap water is good. It will give you a base reference. That way when you have to add water to your pool in the middle of the summer, you'll know what's going into it. Many people here have high CH and/or high TA so when they add water to the pool they know those will rise.

knowing what your tap water is will give you an idea of what changes may take place in your pool. After all, you will regularly have to add tap water to replace the water that evaporates.

If your tap is high in CH, you can expect your CH to climb over time, and you will need to learn how to manage that.
Same goes for TA.

What he said ^ hit the nail.
Lately, our 20k gals pool is losing about an inch of water everyday due to evaporation. I am topping off every other day and within 2 months, my CH climbed from 250 to 350.
With the current water restrictions, not sure what to next when CH reached the unmanageable level.

Here's my number from our city fill water for your reference;
PH = 8+
CH = 175
TA = 130

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.