Where to Purchase AutoPilot Salt Generator

How are you planning to have it installed? If you are going to do it yourself then I would go ahead and buy it on-line. If you want someone else to install it then it might be worth giving Auto Pilot a call and asking them for a list of people in your area who have experience with their systems. It is possible that a local dealer will give you an attractive price on the unit with installation, and you can always go back to the Internet if they won't.

Smsprague, that suprises me too. Please let me know which city you're closer to. I will get you names of local dealers. Our customer service has a dealer list by zip codes and cities, so they should have been able to answer your question.

Can you tell when when and who you spoke with in customer service? I want to make sure this is addressed internally.

Sean,

I live in Tucson, but will be in Phoenix on Saturday. I thought I would call a few places and see who had it in stock.

I don't know who I talked to on the customer service line. Although I have to say other than the dealer locator, she was very helpful and knowledgeable. She did mention that Leslie Pool might be able to order one for me, that did not sound like a good solution. Regardless it looks like I can order one on-line with no issues, but I would like to give the local guys a chance.

Thanks,

Mark

Autopilot-Purchaser on line or Install yourself

JasonLion said:
How are you planning to have it installed? If you are going to do it yourself then I would go ahead and buy it on-line. If you want someone else to install it then it might be worth giving Auto Pilot a call and asking them for a list of people in your area who have experience with their systems. It is possible that a local dealer will give you an attractive price on the unit with installation, and you can always go back to the Internet if they won't.

Done alot of research and the Autopilot Digital with the SC-60 cell and manifold runs in the $1000 range (cheapest was aquasuperstore for $1058 or poolsupplyworld for $1017). My local Autopilot dealer wants $1950 for total install including salt. Since my salt buy will only be $130, this dealer is charging almost $700 for the install. Seems high since it is only 2 PVC cuts, some glue and wiring the controller to the pump timer. Any comments out there about self install or is it worth the peace of mind to have someone else install and get it running??

You have to remember that when you have a pool contractor install the system for you, they are taking on the responsibility of the installation and start up (usually) and any subsequent issues after installation.
While there are many DIYers, there are many that don't want to, or know how to install "stuff", therefore the price to have someone else install it is worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Autopilot Where to buy

Just bought a Autopilot Digital with SC-60 cell (called DIG-60). Prices range from $980 (includes shipping) to $1159 on the internet. Aquasuperstore.com has a price match policy, so although their price was $1058-they matched the low price of $980 from pool4less.com. Aqua seems to be a bigger outfit than americanbestpoolsupply.com and no wait when I called them

I would very much purchase from aquasuperstore again. They shipped the same day I ordered (Monday), and the shipping was UPS ground, so I received it on Thursday in good condition. Of interest, the local dealer wanted $1850 for the unit or $1950 installed (included salt), so I saved $1000 by installing myself. Cost me $200 in materials (wire, PVC pipe/glue, union fittings, salt etc)

for Poolsean-my install was completed without problems and am very happy with the product. The owners manual implies the autopilot digital comes with the factory power leads for hookup with a timer. I only found the short test leads on the control box (whick I removed per the instructions) and had to buy the wire so I could hook up the control box to my pump timer box. Did I misinterpret the owners manual or was I missing some wires. The only wires in the box were the sensor harness and the cell harness.

Re: Autopilot Where to buy

donaldm823 said:
for Poolsean-my install was completed without problems and am very happy with the product. The owners manual implies the autopilot digital comes with the factory power leads for hookup with a timer. I only found the short test leads on the control box (whick I removed per the instructions) and had to buy the wire so I could hook up the control box to my pump timer box. Did I misinterpret the owners manual or was I missing some wires. The only wires in the box were the sensor harness and the cell harness.

We use to provide 6' of lead wire but changed that to the little short wires about 2 years ago. I'm suprised that the manual was not changed to reflect that (actually that's part of my job). What a slacker I am!
And yes, removing the short wires and replacing it with new wire is correct.

edit...
Donald, I just went through the manual, and on page 5 of the manual, it states that there are short test wires and that they should be removed. Is there another section that I'm missing that implies the power leads are provided with the unit for timer hookup?

Re: Autopilot Where to buy

Poolsean said:
donaldm823 said:

We use to provide 6' of lead wire but changed that to the little short wires about 2 years ago. I'm suprised that the manual was not changed to reflect that (actually that's part of my job). What a slacker I am!
And yes, removing the short wires and replacing it with new wire is correct.

edit...
Donald, I just went through the manual, and on page 5 of the manual, it states that there are short test wires and that they should be removed. Is there another section that I'm missing that implies the power leads are provided with the unit for timer hookup?

Poolsean
on page 5 middle of page for "connecting pool pilot to external timer", it says to "Connect Factory AC wires to load side". That seems to imply to me that there are factory wires for the normal timer hookup. I would also change the last sentence of the first para on that page by deleting "to the external timer, one speed pump, and two speed pump". The sentence construction seems to imply, providing a wire is only for the pump hookups-the deletion would make it more obvious.

Also in the Connecting to One Speed, the directions tell you to cut the factory AC wires-again implying that factory AC wires come with the unit. Those test lead wires will not carry the amperage.

CYA Level

for PoolSean
Sean-is it going to hurt my new autopilot to defer my cyanuric acid add until next year. My sample today indicated CYA at 35ppm (it was 50ppm). Since its now getting cooler here in PA, and I have the SC-60-I think the autopilot will keep the chlorine level up at a power level at 2 and 50% with a 10hr pump run time (thus far my 2 day test). But I do not want to harm the new unit realizing , that you recommend 60ppm CYA. My thought is, with the lower CYA, I can allow chlorine to get down to the 2ppm level since I also have a NAture 2 system hooked up the discharge. If I raise CYA up to 60, it may be risky to go as low as 2ppm chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.