Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to Purchase AutoPilot Salt Generator

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to Purchase AutoPilot Salt Generator

I am going to switch my 30 year old 20,000 gallon pool to a Salt Water System. From reading this forum I have decided on the Autopilot Pool Pilot DIG-48, unfortunately their website does not have a dealer locator. Should I just buy it on-line. I was looking at the www.americanbestpoolsupply.com website.
    Priscilla
    16x32 inground vinyl, 15,000gal, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    How are you planning to have it installed? If you are going to do it yourself then I would go ahead and buy it on-line. If you want someone else to install it then it might be worth giving Auto Pilot a call and asking them for a list of people in your area who have experience with their systems. It is possible that a local dealer will give you an attractive price on the unit with installation, and you can always go back to the Internet if they won't.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am going to install it myself (looks pretty straight forward). I gave AutoPilot a call and they did not have a list of dealers in either Tucson or Phoenix Arizona, which surprised me.
    Priscilla

4. Back To Top    #4

Smsprague, that suprises me too. Please let me know which city you're closer to. I will get you names of local dealers. Our customer service has a dealer list by zip codes and cities, so they should have been able to answer your question.

Can you tell when when and who you spoke with in customer service? I want to make sure this is addressed internally.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Sean,

I live in Tucson, but will be in Phoenix on Saturday. I thought I would call a few places and see who had it in stock.

I don't know who I talked to on the customer service line. Although I have to say other than the dealer locator, she was very helpful and knowledgeable. She did mention that Leslie Pool might be able to order one for me, that did not sound like a good solution. Regardless it looks like I can order one on-line with no issues, but I would like to give the local guys a chance.

Thanks,

Mark
    Priscilla

6. Back To Top    #6

Cactus Valley is probably one of our biggest retailers with several stores throughout Maricopa. Their newest just opened in Mesa.

cactuspools.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Local Installers/Dealers

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    Cactus Valley is probably one of our biggest retailers with several stores throughout Maricopa. Their newest just opened in Mesa.

cactuspools.com
    Poolsean-what installers/dealers are available for my area (zip 19335)
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Donald,

Please contact Delaware Valley Pools in Alden PA.
    500 East Providence Rd
    Suite 4
    Aldan, PA
    610-623-8384

Pete and John are the onwers. Tell them I sent you.
    Also, as a member, you can order it on lline, if you're willing to do the installation, through www.saltpoolguys.com and get a discount.

Thanks,

9. Back To Top    #9

Autopilot-Purchaser on line or Install yourself

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    How are you planning to have it installed? If you are going to do it yourself then I would go ahead and buy it on-line. If you want someone else to install it then it might be worth giving Auto Pilot a call and asking them for a list of people in your area who have experience with their systems. It is possible that a local dealer will give you an attractive price on the unit with installation, and you can always go back to the Internet if they won't.
    Done alot of research and the Autopilot Digital with the SC-60 cell and manifold runs in the $1000 range (cheapest was aquasuperstore for $1058 or poolsupplyworld for $1017). My local Autopilot dealer wants $1950 for total install including salt. Since my salt buy will only be $130, this dealer is charging almost $700 for the install. Seems high since it is only 2 PVC cuts, some glue and wiring the controller to the pump timer. Any comments out there about self install or is it worth the peace of mind to have someone else install and get it running??
    Don SW Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

You have to remember that when you have a pool contractor install the system for you, they are taking on the responsibility of the installation and start up (usually) and any subsequent issues after installation.
    While there are many DIYers, there are many that don't want to, or know how to install "stuff", therefore the price to have someone else install it is worth it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Autopilot Where to buy

Just bought a Autopilot Digital with SC-60 cell (called DIG-60). Prices range from $980 (includes shipping) to $1159 on the internet. Aquasuperstore.com has a price match policy, so although their price was $1058-they matched the low price of $980 from pool4less.com. Aqua seems to be a bigger outfit than americanbestpoolsupply.com and no wait when I called them

I would very much purchase from aquasuperstore again. They shipped the same day I ordered (Monday), and the shipping was UPS ground, so I received it on Thursday in good condition. Of interest, the local dealer wanted $1850 for the unit or $1950 installed (included salt), so I saved $1000 by installing myself. Cost me $200 in materials (wire, PVC pipe/glue, union fittings, salt etc)

for Poolsean-my install was completed without problems and am very happy with the product. The owners manual implies the autopilot digital comes with the factory power leads for hookup with a timer. I only found the short test leads on the control box (whick I removed per the instructions) and had to buy the wire so I could hook up the control box to my pump timer box. Did I misinterpret the owners manual or was I missing some wires. The only wires in the box were the sensor harness and the cell harness.
    Don SW Florida

12. Back To Top    #12
    Don't forget to check out Saltpoolguys.com

TFP Supporters, don't forget to check the TFP Supporter area for special pricing!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: Autopilot Where to buy

Quote Originally Posted by donaldm823
    for Poolsean-my install was completed without problems and am very happy with the product. The owners manual implies the autopilot digital comes with the factory power leads for hookup with a timer. I only found the short test leads on the control box (whick I removed per the instructions) and had to buy the wire so I could hook up the control box to my pump timer box. Did I misinterpret the owners manual or was I missing some wires. The only wires in the box were the sensor harness and the cell harness.
    We use to provide 6' of lead wire but changed that to the little short wires about 2 years ago. I'm suprised that the manual was not changed to reflect that (actually that's part of my job). What a slacker I am!
    And yes, removing the short wires and replacing it with new wire is correct.

edit...
    Donald, I just went through the manual, and on page 5 of the manual, it states that there are short test wires and that they should be removed. Is there another section that I'm missing that implies the power leads are provided with the unit for timer hookup?

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Autopilot Where to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldm823
    We use to provide 6' of lead wire but changed that to the little short wires about 2 years ago. I'm suprised that the manual was not changed to reflect that (actually that's part of my job). What a slacker I am!
    And yes, removing the short wires and replacing it with new wire is correct.

edit...
    Donald, I just went through the manual, and on page 5 of the manual, it states that there are short test wires and that they should be removed. Is there another section that I'm missing that implies the power leads are provided with the unit for timer hookup?
    Poolsean
    on page 5 middle of page for "connecting pool pilot to external timer", it says to "Connect Factory AC wires to load side". That seems to imply to me that there are factory wires for the normal timer hookup. I would also change the last sentence of the first para on that page by deleting "to the external timer, one speed pump, and two speed pump". The sentence construction seems to imply, providing a wire is only for the pump hookups-the deletion would make it more obvious.

Also in the Connecting to One Speed, the directions tell you to cut the factory AC wires-again implying that factory AC wires come with the unit. Those test lead wires will not carry the amperage.
    Don SW Florida

15. Back To Top    #15

Donald,
    Thanks. The description for the two speed and one speed pump are correct. The one for the External time is not so I can understand what you're reading and it will be correct.

Thanks again,
    Sean

16. Back To Top    #16

CYA Level

for PoolSean
    Sean-is it going to hurt my new autopilot to defer my cyanuric acid add until next year. My sample today indicated CYA at 35ppm (it was 50ppm). Since its now getting cooler here in PA, and I have the SC-60-I think the autopilot will keep the chlorine level up at a power level at 2 and 50% with a 10hr pump run time (thus far my 2 day test). But I do not want to harm the new unit realizing , that you recommend 60ppm CYA. My thought is, with the lower CYA, I can allow chlorine to get down to the 2ppm level since I also have a NAture 2 system hooked up the discharge. If I raise CYA up to 60, it may be risky to go as low as 2ppm chlorine
    Don SW Florida