Polaris 280 - Proper Operation?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Sort of a dumb question, but want to make sure I'm diagnosing correctly before I start taking stuff apart or buying parts. Just noticed the Polaris 280 isn't moving around as normal the last few days and it seems the wheels are not turning?

Is it correct that if it is in operation, gears should actually be physically turning the wheels? In other words, the wheels don't just move along via water propulsion from the pressure hose?

When I was examining the Polaris, the tail was wagging, had nice full pressure throughout and nothing seemed off, but when I pulled it up to the surface during operation I noticed the wheels were not moving (the reverse function wasn't currently engaged). I did manually push and pull the wheels a bit and saw some limited movement, but then they would stop after a second or two.

Thoughts or what part I may need to replace?

With my previous pool, my Polaris 280 "died" each of the 2 years that I used it. And by "died", I mean the internal drive mechanism would lock up and not allow the wheels to turn. It was repaired under warranty both times, but the tech at Leslies (don't shoot me....that's where my PB instructed me to have the repairs made!) said it was a fairly straightforward repair job. Both times, the main drive gear (probably have the wrong words, but the description is correct) failed. If you talk to any of the repair techs at any of the pool shops, they'll completely understand your problem and will be able to tell you what part has failed--and probably even talk you through the repair process.

Thanks, I'm thinking it looks like parts 32,33,36? Or maybe need to inspect further if the wheels need replacing too? (Assumption being that the plastic wheel internals that spin are chewed up too?) Parts Diagram: Polaris Vac Sweep 280 Cleaner Replacement Parts

32= Polaris Turbine Ball Bearings for Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 and 180 Pool Cleaners
33= Polaris Turbine Shaft Tubes for Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 and 180 Pool Cleaners
36= Polaris Drive Shaft Assembly for Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 and 180 Pool Cleaners

SP_0083.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.