Automation options with Pentaire Superflo VS pump

Gokctx

Jul 16, 2016
Escondido
I want to replace my single speed with a VS pump that can be automated. Problem is I I have only a 115 volt line available so am limited to pump options (Pentair Superflo VS and Hayward Maxflo VS). Running a 220 volt line would be difficult.

I just have a 21k gallon pool with 36 sq ft Hayward filter but want to also add the pentaire ic40 saltwater generator, pentaire automatic muriatic acid dispenser, and possibly solar heater as well all controllable via Pentaire's Easytouch system from my iphone.

My question is if the Pentaire Superflo Vs pump (model 342001) is compatible or automate-able with Easy Touch? Are there any other 115 volt VS pump options that are more compatible with Pentaire's or other manufacturer's automation systems?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.. You will love it here. :lovetfp:

I would recommend you get a 220 volt line installed and use the Intelliflo VS.. but, with that said,

The EasyTouch can control a pump via a serial cable and by using individual relays. Unfortunately, the Superflo vs can not be controlled by the serial cable, but can be controlled by a series of relays. Pentair sells a special cable and PCB that let you preselect 4 specific speeds , each one controlled by an individual relay.

To make this work, you will have to buy the EasyTouch 8, which has 7 user programmed relays, the 8th relay will be required to run your IC40.

Regards,

Jim R.

Thx for the response. So the Easytouch 4 would not work for this setup-- am trying to understand why the Easytouch 8 would be needed vs Easytouch 4.

I was assuming with the Superflo VS, ic40, acid dispenser, and solar that would be the 4 slots the Easytouch 4 would control. Or does the Superflo use up most of the "slots" since it has no serial cable and has to use different "slots" for the different speed settings?

Thanks again

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you will need a relay for each speed you want to be able to select on the pump. 1 for filtering, skimming and making chlorine, 1 for solar pump speed and maybe another for cleaning up the pool. You can set up to 4 speeds.

When I look up the Superflo VS, it appears there are two part number.. P/N 342001 accepts any voltage between 99 and 253 volts, while the P/N 342000, only works with 220 volts circuits. Not sure the P/N 34200 is even available anymore, but better to be sure you get the right one.

The P/N for the special cable and speed control PCB is P/N 353129Z. If you look in the Superflo manual it shows a pretty clear set up diagram.

You could get away with the EasyTouch 4 if you only wanted to use 3 speeds. But then you, would not be able to control anything else that requires a relay, such as the pool light(s), pad light, landscape lighting, etc. I would go with the EasyTouch 8, because once you have automation you keep finding more things to use it for. In my case, I have the ET 4 and wish I had purchased the ET 8.

Also... if you are going to get the IC40 make sure you get the EasyTouch 8 with the built in SWG power supply. You might even consider the ET 8 with the IC60 package deal, it might be cheaper.

Jim R.

what size wire did they use for the 115. if its big enough and has a ground you can turn it into 220. would require proper wire size and a breaker change
I want to replace my single speed with a VS pump that can be automated. Problem is I I have only a 115 volt line available so am limited to pump options (Pentair Superflo VS and Hayward Maxflo VS). Running a 220 volt line would be difficult.

I just have a 21k gallon pool with 36 sq ft Hayward filter but want to also add the pentaire ic40 saltwater generator, pentaire automatic muriatic acid dispenser, and possibly solar heater as well all controllable via Pentaire's Easytouch system from my iphone.

My question is if the Pentaire Superflo Vs pump (model 342001) is compatible or automate-able with Easy Touch? Are there any other 115 volt VS pump options that are more compatible with Pentaire's or other manufacturer's automation systems?

Thanks!

Great idea but Not sure what the 115 volt wire size is. Unfortunately in addition to the pump the 115 line powers the pool light and deck lights which are 115 as well. If I switch the line to 220 don't think those lights would work anymore.

I would love to run a dedicated 220 to the pump but it involves running conduit along half the house, tunneling under a bunch of concrete and pAvers, and digging a 70 foot trench.

The old wire should be in conduit underground. Depending on how far the run is and the size conduit you might be able to just pull a new wire. You could maybe tie a fish tape to the old wire and pull the fish through using the old wire then tie the new wires to the fish and pull them back using the fish tape.single strand would be easier to pull
Great idea but Not sure what the 115 volt wire size is. Unfortunately in addition to the pump the 115 line powers the pool light and deck lights which are 115 as well. If I switch the line to 220 don't think those lights would work anymore.

I would love to run a dedicated 220 to the pump but it involves running conduit along half the house, tunneling under a bunch of concrete and pAvers, and digging a 70 foot trench.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.