11 week old gunite is discoloring! New pool.

Kahlsu

Aug 21, 2016
Baton Rouge
Hi, this forum has helped me with so much already. I didn't want to post until I received my TF-100 kit. UPS came today and here are my test results.

FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA- 100
CH 150. Never added Calcium cuz pool peeps said new pool curing and to give it a bit of time.
CYA 60ppm. A week ago it was 160ppm. We drained 2 feet and refilled. I stopped using the 3" chlorine pucks

Our Problem: the diamond brite Tahoe blue plaster started out great. Then image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg it started turning white with swirls. Once again we have not added any calcium. Since the CYA problem; I only use liquid chlorine made at our local pinch-a-penny and muriatic acid when the Ph jumps up.

I met with PB. He has "never seen anything like this before" and he will send out his pool chemical person to look at it. It's been 3 weeks now. Granted we had a major flood August 12 that has left this area mostly homeless; so I'll give the guy a minute. I want to teach myself how to care for this pool. Thank goodness I found this forum. We are also getting little brown stains; that I treated with Vit C. They do disappear but some new ones form. Anything I should do? Thanks for that tip!

Please help us fix our plaster! I need education to have a conversation with the PB. Thank Y'all!

Take a sample of water in to the local pool store and ask them to test for metals. (It's just about the only test we ask them to do or trust them to do) but on the off chance that some metals (iron or copper) may be in your water?

You do need to up that calcium so that the water doesn't pull the calcium out of the plaster so bring that up to around 300.

Something is def wrong if the plaster is only 11 weeks old and doing wonky things....

Thank you. I just registered the plaster with SGM. I read all the pool plaster dx forum; I still can't figure out where the plaster went wrong. I will email SGM with pics also. I will get the metals checked and also add calcium. ��

SMG recommends bringing CH to 200-400 on day 3 and a sequestrant asap. You're about to hit month 3! Were you staying on top the pH early on? My plaster is 3 weeks old and it still has a pretty good appetite for acid - I have to monitor it daily.

What you're seeing may not be the result of start-up issues, but I'd be concerned about startup care becoming an issue as you discuss remedies with the PB or SGM.

Just heard back from SGM. Anybody know anything about Jacks Magic Stain?

Kelley,

Thank you for choosing Diamond Brite. The good news is that you still have a great finish under what appears to be a calcium scale build up. To remove this discoloration I suggest you contact your local pool professional and apply Jacks Magic stain and scale treatment.

Yes, Jacks makes good products. If that is scale you can manage that by managing your CSI. Keep the water aggressive and brush often. Between -0.8 and -0.6 for a while will help to sp dissolve the scale. PoolMath will give you your CSI number after you enter all, important ALL, of your test results. After the scale is dissolved keeping CSI between -0.3 and 0 will prevent further scale. Tweak PH and TA to move the number.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

That is a good point.
But while the water is not scale forming right now, scaling cannot be ruled out since this is a new plaster job and just went through a start-up process.
However, it may be that the color pigment is becoming "bleached out" by chlorine. "Blue" pigments and/or "organic" pigments are very problematic and generally do not hold up well in a swimming pool environment.

That is correct, -0.13 will not produce scale. Do you have any historical test results? You can put some dry acid in a sock and rub it on a spot to see if it will dissolve the scale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.