AAArrrrgghhhhh!!!!! Pool liner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
Our liner shredded this winter from the ice and wind, and I had it ducttaped up until the liner guy got here today to replace it. They had it in and were filling it and smoothing it - and they called me out and said they dropped a screw gun in and punched a hole in it. He was great about it - and said he'd

1) patch it and then take a few hundred off installation

or

2) buy a new liner and start installation all over again.

My brother said I should ask for more than a few hundred - he'd spend $550 just on the liner not to mention all the time to reinstall.

My brother's buddy said I should have them patch it, but make them buy me a new liner for when it fails.

Now I'm wondering what to do. It is on the bottom of the pool about 1.5 feet off the side. Which - guess where little feet always are - so I'm a little concerned that a patch there won't hold up. But I hate to make him buy a new liner and redo - he does this as a side job and is laid off his "real job" - so it's not a huge pool company that can stand the loss!!

Such a bummer!!! What do you think?!

Welcome to TFP!!

NEW LINER!! :hammer:

(OF course if you want to keep the liner and give it a try, you can. If it's still possible to double patch (one patch over another) both the poolside of the liner and the underside - I'd be very tempted to take the $ off the install)

Depends on the size of the hole/tear. Smaller than the bottom of a pop can, double patch both sides (1st patch cover the hole plus 1 inch and 2nd covers the 1st patch plus 2 inches) and ask for $400.00 off the install. Larger than that new liner. I would also check into the warrenty situation.

cherylandco said:
1) patch it and then take a few hundred off installation

or

2) buy a new liner and start installation all over again.

My brother said I should ask for more than a few hundred - he'd spend $550 just on the liner not to mention all the time to reinstall.

My brother's buddy said I should have them patch it, but make them buy me a new liner for when it fails.

How much total is the job going to cost you? (original price before the accident)

How much exactly is a 'few hundred off'? Around here I've checked with a couple of installers and they charge $200-$250 to replace a liner (labor only). To me a 'few hundred' is more than 2 so is he going to lose money on the job?

Having them patch and then MAKE them buy a new liner if/when it fails wouldn't be an option for me. Everyone makes a mistake and he offered two viable options to take care of it like a responsible person would. You can't or rather shouldn't expect anything more than a reasonable discount or a new liner and pay what you originally had planned on paying anyway.

If it were me, if I had already planned to pay the full amount of money originally agreed upon then I'm not losing anything by paying that full price.... I already set aside the money, I knew it was going to cost that, so I would probably get a new liner and get the receipt for liner so that you will have the full warranty in case something happens in the future with it that would be covered under the warranty.

If he has a regular supplier he may be able to get it replaced at no cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.