How to clean Taylor salt test cylinder?

Ronald U.

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
I just purchased a Taylor K-1766 Sodium chloride test kit. I notice afterwards that there is a creamy bathtub ring left inside the cylinder that doesn't wash away easily with water. Use weak bleach to clean? I'm assuming sticking my finger in and wiping it out is not the smartest way. Thanks.

When I feel bold and need to add some muriatic acid to my pool, I first pour a smidgeon into my test tubes to clean them out (tossing the ma into the pool after a few seconds and rinsing well in the pool water). Works well for me <climbs on her horse and rides off in to the sunset>

but...

you might want to try some vinegar and rinse it out in the sink and wipe dry with a paper towel. yeah, that'll work too ;)

It's silver chloride. Just rinse it out good with water and use some dish detergent. Rinse again very well to remove any excess detergent and then wipe out the inside of the tube with a paper towel.

It's "sticks" because it's very fine particulates that are statically attracted to the plastic surface of the tube. Physical wiping works the best. Bleach won't work and messing with acid is not advised.

If the above cleaning method does not work, one can use a diluted ammonia solution (straight ammonia cleaner, no additives if possible) to clean out the cylinder. Silver chloride dissolves in ammonia solutions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.