Black Algae - New Kid on the block to TFP

Aug 31, 2016
Chandler arizona
:confused: Folks, I am hoping that some of you out there can help. I am a 2x in ground. pool owner. I have never had black algae in any until my 12th year of this one. I am 90% confident it IS Black Algae as I was able to brush a couple small dots up and smear on paper where it looks like Green Algae. I too have been failed by Pool stores, not to mention wearing my few working arm joints to failure.

Last year I eliminated what I was unsure, was black algae in a small area of my pool using a silver based algaecide (silver algaedyn). In March of this year, I drained pool, Acid washed it, refilled, added recommended dose of CYA from Home Depot bottle (have never tested, and unsure how to without using pool store). In early July, I starting seeing the tiny dots again, same area. They start small, and grow and appear to "bleed" over time. I adjusted PH, Chlorine, and used a single dose of the silver running pump for 72 hrs. Cleared for a while, then returned. Pool store sold me Tri-chlor granules, which I first shocked the pool, then added directly to the Algae which is MOSTLY on floor. Problem cleared. Algae returns a couple weeks later, used another silver dose (No chlorine or tri-chlor as Reading is OFF THE CHARTS from previous shock and dropping on algae spots. Pool store sells me COPPER based Algaecide. Used a single dose (STILL no need for Chlorine adjustment as its still off the charts, used second test kit to eliminate that as a variable). Ran pump for 48 hrs per label instructions. And Brush, brush, brush with SS brush. Cleared for 2 days and is back with a vengeance. Been brushings for 3 days, no better, and just seems to be "Bleeding" more. I am reluctant to give a second dose of the copper....
Sorry for the rant, wanted to give a full timeline of details.......
Am new to tfp and still reading volumes here.....
ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated!

Running out of energy and ideas-

Ah, a fellow Arizonan......Yep, amazing that I have been able to (Fairly) successfully maintain 2 pools over a period of 23 years in such ignorant bliss. Have spent all day educating myself on this site....Lots more to go....I did read thru that article 2x, and am a bit confused as 1st response from Woodyp suggested Slamming my pool, however the article states to keep FC between hi norm and SLAM levels. It doesn't state to invoke a SLAM. UR thoughts?

Not sure if I should have started a new thread......But I have a kit in transit to test CYA, FC, etc. I have been binge reading/educating on the TFP philosophy. It makes basic (no pun) sense, but I have a "basic" Q......this method requires testing and Adding bleach daily to keep this working correctly.....I guess that's why so many of us use the puck and go philosophy......What do you folks do when you want to leave town for a 3 or 4 day weekend? I would normally add 4 pucks in a floater and leave.

You won't need to add liquid chlorine daily, depending on how much you add at a time, when you aren't SLAMing the pool. As long as you maintain the proper CYA level you can use pucks when you go away still. Using pucks is only frowned upon because they add CYA to the water and having too much is not good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason, As I am preparing to stock up on bleach to convert to TFP, and since you live in a similar climate as me, can you tell me (Once water is balanced) about how much bleach is required on a weekly or monthly basis for maintenance? I am looking at bleach at 4.00/gallon, and I usually go thru about 20-30 lbs. of pucks a year at a cost of about 40-60.00 per year. Seems like bleach will be substantially higher? Hope you are having a great labor day weekend.
Bob

I was getting a gallon of 10%at Walmart for $2.50, but that is gone now. I think their 8.25% is still a better deal than $4 for a gallon of 10%. I thought the bulk refillable sellers were cheaper than $4.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.