Aquapure 1400 General Fault 121

lcchan

Dec 15, 2015
Montverde/Florida
My Aquapure 1400 system is displaying a General Fault message with error code of 121. A week ago, it showed error message 120. But after I cleaned the cell, the message went away. With the power cable disconnected from the cell I measured 16.2 volts DC. I suspected that I might have to replace the back circuit board. I would really appreciate any observation and comment on this situation. Thanks.

Can't really tell unless voltage and current is measured while producing. See what that shows.

Thanks.

Voltages measured a few minutes ago ( 11 am EST ) are as follows:

1. With power cable connected to cell : 33v between cell terminals 1 ( outside left ) and 2 ( middle ). 32 v between terminal 2 and 3.

2. With power cable disconnected from the cell: 4.4v between 1 and 2, 3.6v between 2 and 3.

3. Voltages at the disconnected cable: 11.5 between 1 and 2, 11.5v between 2 and 3.

33 volts usually means that the system has maxed out the voltage in an attempt to get sufficient current. Check amps going to cell. Get a multimeter that can do 10 amps passthrough and put it inline with one leg. Disconnect one leg where the power cord connects to the power supply. The current will pass through the meter. Make sure that the meter is configured properly or things will be damaged.

33 volts usually means that the system has maxed out the voltage in an attempt to get sufficient current. Check amps going to cell. Get a multimeter that can do 10 amps passthrough and put it inline with one leg. Disconnect one leg where the power cord connects to the power supply. The current will pass through the meter. Make sure that the meter is configured properly or things will be damaged.

Thanks, JamesW.

Couldn't measure current until this PM due to bad weather. I measured the current going through the cell by using the procedure given in the AquaPure manual: by measuring the voltage across terminals K & H on the front board. Voltage measured fluctuated wildly between 37 mV and -1.1 mV. Since 20 mV equals 1 amp., thus, the current going through the cell fluctuated between 1.85 and -0.55 amp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JamesW,

Just want say thank you again for your help. Your diagnosis was correct. It was the cell. I put in a new PLC 1400 yesterday. The error message went away after that. It was an expensive fix. My cell was only 2.5 years old.

Did you check to see if it was under warranty, the cell should have been covered for 3 years.

Just looked it up and you're right. It seems all the manufacturers are switching their warranties to shorter terms and/or require "professional installation".

I've personally never had any salt system last through its warranty period yet, but they have all replaced the cell for no charge.

If you have the old cell, remove the two screws that hold the plate that seals the prongs and pry off the cover plate.

Also, look carefully at the titanium plates with a flashlight to see if they are damaged.

It won't matter now that you have a new cell but I'm interested in how these cells fail.

It's probably going to be one of the above things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.