Should a pool heater sound loud?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We recently had our pool installed and we put in a Hayward H250 LoNox heater. My neighbor had some AC work done yesterday and his HVAC guy said our heater sounded like it was getting too much gas and shouldn't sound that loud. My neighbor also said that one of the dials on the gas meter spins wildly while the heater is on. When the heater is on, it does make a loud rumbling, but is any of this abnormal? Can a heater get too much gas?

I read the manual and called the gas guy that did the install. He said he would check the feed for the amount of flow, which he said should be 3.5???
How should the heater sound if the proper amount of gas is getting to it? Louder than the pump or quieter? Thanks.

No flutter or squeak. Just a constant rumbling sound while it is operating. They checked it today and said the water pressure was correct and they called the gas guy (they recommended him) and he said he checked the gas pressure and it was fine. They have told me to leave the heater off until they hear back from Hayward. They did say that because the heater is a 'pwer vented heater' that this will contribute to the noise. I know that the PB generally installs millivolt heaters, and I specifically requested an electronic one. If the gas guy typically installs only millivolt heaters, is there something he could have missed in the process? While an electronic heater is heating, what should it sound like?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.