New pool/ODK/pavilion build

Stam17

Jul 11, 2016
Old Tappan/NJ
I've been a tfp member for a couple of months now. I've literally spent everyday reading various threads and comments trying to take in as much information as possible. My wife gave the the go ahead ? in the spring to start planning our backyard "oasis". I interviewed about 8 pool builders in our area at the beginning of the summer. We received proposals and narrowed down our list of builders. Before deciding, we went and saw some of the projects that builders had done. We picked our builder a few weeks ago and met with him last night. We went over the initial concept design last night. We made some minor changes that will be reflected in a new drawing by the end of this week hopefully. I'll attach the initial plan that we received last night. The plan includes a freeform lagoon gunite pool, about 21x42 with a 4-6 waterfall in the back corner of the yard. Along the back fence line will be 2 smaller, low flow waterfall/streams. We will also be building a covered pavilion with a gas fireplace, sitting area and outdoor kitchen. We will most likely do this build in stages for financial reasons. The pool and patio will be done over the fall/winter. Most likely the roof structure and ODK will be completed the following year.

Equipment will be all Pentair. The pool will be saltwater and will have a waterfall with grotto, a sitting bench in the deep end, the sun shelf in the drawing is getting moved to where the steps are in the drawing. A bench in the shallow end under the small waterfalls. I'm looking for any input or advice from the community here.

Welcome to TFP!

What is the depth profile of your pool?

I recommend three full-size color-changing LED lights. All of which would go on the house side of the pool. Two lights will leave something to be desired with your freeform shape and overall size.

Go with the IC-60 SWCG for the overall most cost efficient approach on chlorination.

If you want to go with volleyball or basketball, given your upscale look, I'd recommend deciding ahead of time exactly which product(s) you want so the stainless steel sleeves can be worked into construction.

Your pool shape/waterfalls will create for a very custom installation of a winter cover. And likely many opportunities for debris to intrude during the off season. Not much to do about it except to make and plans/changes that might mitigate this effect now, instead of when you go order your winter cover after the fact.

Consider umbrella holders. We don't use the many we installed, but that's because we have a pavilion right next to the pool, similar to yours. And we had some tables built in which also serve umbrella holder purpose.

Consider a standing depth (42") bench next the deep-end sitting bench. Great for playing catch with a person in the shallow end or on the deck area to the right.

Shallow end, right 2/3 of the pool will be 3'6" with deep end on the left being 8'6". I'm hoping that will be enough for jumping off the 4' high waterfall. I don't know if I should ask for it be more like 9' deep. I was thinking of the IC60 after reading so much on here about increasing size. Is it worth it to go any bigger than the IC60? Talked with the PB today about some changes to the pavilion and confirmed that the bench changes have been made as well. We are supposed to meet with him saturday to see the revised and hopefully final plans. We are excited to move forward and get digging. Hopefully the permit process won't be too painful. As of right now the plan includes two Pentair LED lights as well as a light in the grotto. I will talk to him about adding a third large LED light. I will update once we receive final plans and any changes.