Order of balancing chemicals

Jul 25, 2012
Basking Ridge, NJ
HI All,

It's been a while since I've posted and I need a reminder on this issue. With the Pool Chemistry listed below, what order should I balance the in? Ex. pH, FC, ALK or FC, pH, ALK, etc.

FC: 1.52
TC (CC): 2.73
PH: 6.8
ALK: 56
CYA: 106
CH: 47

I have no idea how I arrived at this level of unbalanced chemicals after being away for just two weeks and having a neighbor take care of it for me

Thanks everyone!

Patrick

I'm not familiar with that test kit, but assuming those numbers are right (FC/CC to 2 places? :scratch: )

Half the water needs to be replaced.
pH needs to come up to at least 7.2.
FC needs to be closer to 6 (assuming 50% water replacement)
CH needs to come way up.

To answer your original question:

pH
CYA
FC
ALK
CH

Your CYA is way too high, probably because you are using tabs to chlorinate. You'll need to lower this to the 30-40 range by draining about 2/3 and refilling with fresh water. Then remove the tabs from your feeder and use only liquid chlorine (aka bleach) to bring your FC into the 3-4 range and add bleach daily so that it never fails below 3.

If your LaMotte tester is a digital tester, you can search here and find all the reason we advise against those. Here is what we do recommend: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.