Building new pool in the spring...Radiant?

Hello everyone, I'm new to tfp. While I grew up with a pool, I haven't owned one as an adult. Back then, sand filters were new to the scene, and when we converted from a de to sand it was a vastly improved system. But that was 30 years ago. My wife an I are considering a 32x16 radiant oval that will be buried for a built in look. It will have a 3 foot concrete deck surrounding it ( I've been told this is mandatory for the hard winter cover I want also) as well as a swg system and pentair filtration...
Okay, so here comes the questions....we considered all three types of pools. The wife doesn't care for gunite...so that's out. I did a ton of research on the builder I'm planning to use. They are family run for over 50 years and there just isn't any negative words on him anywhere...all great reviews. So I'm confident he's the right guy. I considered a fiberglass pool and there is a highly rated installer in my area but being a former boat owner I know what the sun ultimately does to a gel coat. Not to mention that tfp research tells me not so much love for a fg pool. I've found older threads on radiant installs...are folks happy with them? Also, I'm seeking advice on what to watch here...I know I'm getting pentair equipment but what size is the best for my size pool? Also, is one skimmer and one return enough?
I greatly appreciate the sharing of knowledge on tfp and since I'm just starting out I'd love to know exactly what to get. We plan on cut in steps, a light kit and we are just under 30 grand at this point. I plan to post pictures of the install and I'm hoping to do it early spring of 2017. So before I sign on the dotted line...your thoughts? Thanks!

I wish someone would reply as I'm looking for the same feedback. Do you have a breakdown of costs for that $30k? Does that include the cost of the builder? We are looking at DIYing it with the exception of the excavation, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a realistic budget. In California almost everybody does gunite pools. But that is a much bigger project to take on as a DIY.

Hello....the pool breaks down close to this...20 for the pool, including upgraded pentair filter system and a swg, 4 k for the cut in steps ( that replace a wall section) and roughly 5 k for a 3 foot brushed concrete deck surrounding the whole pool. That also includes a 5 foot deep end upgrade. I am spending the extra money on the deck because I want a hard cover in the off season and I've been told you must have atleast 3 foot of concrete to anchor it. That's an all in installed price for the pool, the only things not included in that are 3 biggies ....1 extra dirt haul away...from other installs I found on tfp people usually go the dumpster route....2 water delivery... I'm bugeting around $350 bucks and finally the electrician to hook it all up...I have no idea what that's gonna run me...I'm gonna ask the builder. I did a ton of research on the builder....couldn't find even one complaint. I know that a lot of folks do a self install. I personally might try it if I was going ag. But not ig. My best friend once told me that you can do anything yourself if you are willing to live with the results. I want the pool as near perfect as I can get it, so for me, I'm letting him do his thing. A word about the concrete, I originally thought that the number was a bit high, but after research I found it to be middle of the road. So I will go with the builders guy because I figure they work together a lot and each knows what they are doing and who does what instead of me hiring an outsider the builder doesn't know. Hoping to be early spring. Good luck with your research!

I can't speak to the plumbing end, but we've been thrilled with our Radiant. We just worry that the dog will damage the vinyl, if you can even count that against the pool or the material.

Unless someone chimes in to say otherwise, I'll just say it sounds like with that reputation your PB is on the ball and isn't going to undersize your equipment or do your plumbing wrong.

Unless someone chimes in to say otherwise, I'll just say it sounds like with that reputation your PB is on the ball and isn't going to undersize your equipment or do your plumbing wrong.[/QUOTE]
What would you say is appropriate for a 32x16 oval as far as filter size/hp? Is one skimmer and one return enough?

For what it's worth...we are doing in-ground vinyl with steel walls and liner over the steps - 18x36 and the PB price was around $42,000. That includes 700SqFt of concrete, pump, lights, 4 deck jets, slide, solar cover, winter cover, heat pump and cartridge filter. We had 4 quotes and all were between $38k-$44k.

Thanks, that's helpful. I think it compares well and shows both the builders are about on par with price, considering your build is bigger with more added options. My price doesn't include a hard winter cover that I want, but the builder told me around 1200 for that which seems in line with prices I've found online. Good luck with your build...id love to see a pic of the covered steps when it's done!