Odd Shaped Pool - What Robotic Cleaner to Buy?

jubjub

Aug 31, 2016
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if there has been answered in the past.

However, my pool is oddly (IMO) shaped: it's 60ft by ~15ft. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced quality robotic pool cleaner, but it seems a majority of the consumer grade robotic cleaners are for 50ft or less pools. My GFCI outlet is unfortunately not located near the middle of the pool, so I would need probably at least a 75ft cord.

I don't have any desire to use an extension cord for obvious reasons.

There are commercial options that would fit the bill, but they are pricey.

The pool is only ~16k gallons, so I'm not really looking for commercial grade anyways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

I think a 75 ft unit cable will be difficult if not impossible to find. I would consider using an extension cord safely or moving the GFI. Perhaps there are units with a longer control/supply cable but the only ones that come to mind with them are commercial units. Using an extension cord isn't or doesn't have to be less safe than plugging into a GFI.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if there has been answered in the past.

However, my pool is oddly (IMO) shaped: it's 60ft by ~15ft. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced quality robotic pool cleaner, but it seems a majority of the consumer grade robotic cleaners are for 50ft or less pools. My GFCI outlet is unfortunately not located near the middle of the pool, so I would need probably at least a 75ft cord.

I don't have any desire to use an extension cord for obvious reasons.

There are commercial options that would fit the bill, but they are pricey.

The pool is only ~16k gallons, so I'm not really looking for commercial grade anyways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I can understand your hesitation about a commercial unit based on cost, but it might be the better solution for you. Cleaners aren't selected based on water volume but on surface area. Your pool is at least 50%-70% larger than "typical" so I'm not sure that a residential unit will be up to the task for a typical cleaning cycle. It may very well be, but you won't know until you try. And it's not really as simple as running two cycles because you're running random patterns, so there's no guarantee you'll get full coverage. A unit like the Dolphin M500, with a 3.5 hour cycle, may be an option. As for the cord length, use an extension cord.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. If I go with an extension cord, my challenges become much easier.

I haven't noticed robotic pool cleaner specs including max square footage, just length. Is this something that is typically provided by manufacturers?

I haven't noticed robotic pool cleaner specs including max square footage, just length. Is this something that is typically provided by manufacturers?

Square footage is a function of length. It's why the commercial robots have longer cords and longer run cycles, because they're cleaning bigger pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.