Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating time to filter all the water once

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating time to filter all the water once

How do I calculate the probably amount of time it takes for all the water in my pool to theoretically go through my filter one time? I have a 15,000 gallong pool with a sta-rite 3 filter system. It says max is 125GPM. Pump is also sta-rite, 1.5HP 1.1kwatts. Also, how do I adjust this for a solar heater?
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

2. Back To Top    #2
    You would need to calculate your flow rate. You can look at this thread to get started. Calculating the flow rate is complex, and usually not worth the trouble.

Why do you want to know?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Right now, I run my pool 6 hours a day in two shifts, primarily based on testing, heating (solar), and use. I want to know the number of times I am turning my water over in those 6 hours. SWG is set to 10% and maintains the chlorine levels. Water is clear, CC is 0. So I think it is running enough.
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

4. Back To Top    #4
    Your subjective opinion is more important than calculating the number. The goal is for the water to be very clear and look the same everywhere. If you want to experiement you could try running it a couple of hours longer for several days and see if you can detect any difference. I suspect that you will want to run it a little longer in the very hottest weather.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School