we had a problem with a lot of cracking and settling in old pool deck

I hired a construction company from home advisor.com that claimed to have over twenty years exp. with concrete work. We hired them, after checking that they have had no complaints, been in bus. since 2009. Sounded good... The repair of the cracks seemed to be done very well, the problem was in the resurfacing work. The thin layer of concrete topping is so thin you can see the old surface through it in spots. It has just been a week since the "final coat" was applied and there are already small cracks showing up. The salesman is a fast-talker and denys he can see the old finish showing through, he said he "guarantees" that it is 1/4 inch thick, because "you cannot trowel it if is it thinner". We have had a few hard rains since the concrete was laid, during its first week, it almost seemed to wash some of it away. The salesman wants to call it finished and said we need to seal it right away.... he claims that is not part of his job, but admits it is the final step for newly poured concrete. But a paint and construction expert from Lowes that we spoke to said new concrete has to cure for thirty days before we seal it.... Now we are so confused. The man who applied the final concrete layer did such a sloppy job, he smeared concrete all over the edges of the white stone that frames our pool. We are so unhappy with the job they did I feel the only thing I can do now is try to go around the fast-talking salesman and get to his boss. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Ask the salesman if he thinks that the Contractor's Board investigator would agree with him. Definitely call the manager or owner, and if you do not get results, call your state contractor's board, that usually solves 90% of issues quickly.

Ok we are talking about a concrete deck where you had cracks repaired and then a slurry coat over the top.

I'll be frank here. Don't expect much.

There are cracks there for a reason. Believing they will go away with some epoxy repair and a slurry coat is fantasy.

Ground water and temperature changes will cause them to reappear within a year or two. That you can see parts of them now does not surprise me.

Before we start denigrating the contractor have another couple of concrete contractors come out and look at the work.

I think you were oversold on this (or you over hoped).

The only way to repair serious cracking from a looks standpoint is to jack up and re pour. You can repair the cracks and make it serviceable. You can patch. But from a looks standpoint its jack up and re pour.

Why, because repairing the cracks does nothing to resolve the cause of the cracking (expansive soil, excess expansion and contraction, undermining, too soft a base, etc)

In my humble opinion you are getting what you paid for. It may not be what you expected or were promised but its what can be expected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.