Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: please help with aquarite goldline

1. Back To Top    #1

please help with aquarite goldline

we just got our SWG connected today. yesterday we added 9 40lb bags salt. that was under what the pool calculator told me to add for 3000ppm. we let the pump run yesterday and shut it off. i turned it on again this morning and it has run all day until late this afternoon when we got the electrical connected.

when we turn it on, it looks like its reporting 2600 ppm salt. it then shuts down and gives a high reading with the red light. what is going on? i hate to drain water. could my pool actually have too much salt?

we have it set for "t-15" which is the correct cell type.

my pool is 16,900 gallon gunite

todays readings(this morning):
    FC-5
    Ph-7.5
    TA-80
    CH-226
    CYA-70
    17,000 gallon roman shaped gunite pool-AquaRite goldline SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: please help with aquarite goldline

continue to circulate the water and set it to the auto setting for 24 hours after doing a power down reset. Wait till then and check once more. If it is still giving you those errors take a sample to a pool store and have them do an independent meter to double check. M
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Teppy, I've got some bad news for you - 360 lbs was too much salt, it would appear. Most probably your pool has a good bit less water than you think Of course you could also have had more salt in the pool than you anticipated (all chlorine breaks down into some salt).

Here's what's going on, the unit is preset to display 2600 when you first turn it on, however that number is not the actual salinity passing through the cell - to get that you need to push the black diagnostic button 5 times with the unit running to get to the instant salinity (which IS the salinity the unit 'thinks' is passing through at that moment), then push the slide switch from "AUTO" to "Superchlorinate" and back to "AUTO" to lock that number onto the display screen.

Check out the instant salinity and let us know

Matt beat me to the submit button and he is certainly right about the pool's supposed to run for 24 hours after the addition of salt - but I'm thinking that with some circulation as you added it and the pump running most of the day, the salt would be distributed well enough for you to have a good idea of the actual salinity.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, i did the thing by pushing the diagnostic button 5 times. i got a reading of 3700 one time, and 3900 most of the other times i kept doing it. i had read another thread saying that this was a way to calibrate the unit. i kept doing to try to calibrate it to around 3000. that did not happen. i guess this info was wrong. anyway, it looks like the unit thinks i'm running at between 3700-3900?

as far as my pool volume, my pool is a roman shape gunite. i use rectangular shape to calculate the volume on the pool calculator. the length is 34'x14' and is 3'6" in the shallow end and goes to 6' in the deep end. i use an average depth of 4.75'. it should be 16,900 right?

i guess i will have to dump some water. i ordered a test kit for salt from duraleigh. hopefully it will be in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Hi Teppy, I've got some bad news for you - 360 lbs was too much salt, it would appear. Most probably your pool has a good bit less water than you think Of course you could also have had more salt in the pool than you anticipated (all chlorine breaks down into some salt).

Here's what's going on, the unit is preset to display 2600 when you first turn it on, however that number is not the actual salinity passing through the cell - to get that you need to push the black diagnostic button 5 times with the unit running to get to the instant salinity (which IS the salinity the unit 'thinks' is passing through at that moment), then push the slide switch from "AUTO" to "Superchlorinate" and back to "AUTO" to lock that number onto the display screen.

Check out the instant salinity and let us know

Matt beat me to the submit button and he is certainly right about the pool's supposed to run for 24 hours after the addition of salt - but I'm thinking that with some circulation as you added it and the pump running most of the day, the salt would be distributed well enough for you to have a good idea of the actual salinity.

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you sure you have the right cell type programed in....I just turned mine on today, and it was a little confusing....There are 4 cell types you can enter.....t-3 t-5 t-9 and t-15.....

I have a cell for up to 25000 gallons, and the code is actually t-9......the t-15 code is for a 40,000 gallon cell....

That is just how I see it.....I'm by far not an expert, but fairly sure thats accurate....
    17,200 in ground Vinyl pool......
    Salt Water
    Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

yes, its right. we actually got the largest cell that they have.

I dumped 16percent or so of water. my SWG runs now! I went to the pool store to get some readings. my salt is right where it needs to be at 3200, how did i get that just right. i guess because the pool calculator told me exactly how much water to replace. and by the way, the aquarite was reporting that my salt level was 3900. i brought in a before water replacement sample and his tests showed exactly that, 3900. so, the SWG was dead on with his tests on salt. so, i feel confident that the new water sample that he tested at 3200 is right.

all of the numbers that the pool store got were what i was getting here with my TF-100 except for the CH and CYA. I had my CYA at 80 before the water replacement. I did not dump alot. He told me that my CYA was at 22????? I had enough supplies from the TF-100 for one more test. i just tested it and with my back to the sun i got 60-70. in direct sun i got 50. which one is right? i am out of the color q tests, so i can't compare. i just don't believe the pool store on this. it seems like my CYA should not have gone down that much with only that small amount of water replacement. he is using a photometer of some sort. he told me that my CH was 166. my TF-100 tells me 200. before the water replacement it was at 230-240. which one here do i believe? i don't want to add too much CYA and CH until i can know for sure. I know that there are people here who can advise me on this. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Duk
    Are you sure you have the right cell type programed in....I just turned mine on today, and it was a little confusing....There are 4 cell types you can enter.....t-3 t-5 t-9 and t-15.....

I have a cell for up to 25000 gallons, and the code is actually t-9......the t-15 code is for a 40,000 gallon cell....

That is just how I see it.....I'm by far not an expert, but fairly sure thats accurate....

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same type swg.....how come my salt content number reads 3.20 instead of 3200 like it usually does? Did I convert it to another numeric system by mistake?
    18k gals, IG vinyl, Hayward DE, Aquarite Goldline SWG, Jandy XL3 heater, spill over spa, X-stream slide,2 hp super II pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by teamstew
    I have the same type swg.....how come my salt content number reads 3.20 instead of 3200 like it usually does? Did I convert it to another numeric system by mistake?
    It might be because the configuration is set to show minerals instead of salt. It should be a setting in the configuration menu.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

First things first -

Teppy, your test numbers are in line with the amount of water you replaced - you and I both know you know how to do the tests,therefore, the PS #s are BS #s Trust your own testing over the BS (... uhm I mean PS) 8)

Teamstew, welcome to TFP!!

What you want to do is push the diagnostic button once while the switch is on "Auto" and then go to "super" and back to "AUTO" - you are currently in metric and are at 3200 ppm

All these tips are discretely hidden in the owner's manual
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    First things first -

Teppy, your test numbers are in line with the amount of water you replaced - you and I both know you know how to do the tests,therefore, the PS #s are BS #s Trust your own testing over the BS (... uhm I mean PS) 8)

Teamstew, welcome to TFP!!

What you want to do is push the diagnostic button once while the switch is on "Auto" and then go to "super" and back to "AUTO" - you are currently in metric and are at 3200 ppm

All these tips are discretely hidden in the owner's manual
    Thank You! For the "welcome" and the tip! Your right, they must be hidden......I couldn't find any info anywhere!
    18k gals, IG vinyl, Hayward DE, Aquarite Goldline SWG, Jandy XL3 heater, spill over spa, X-stream slide,2 hp super II pump

11. Back To Top    #11

It worked! [of course it did!] This site is awesome! This will be my 4th year with my pool, I just discovered this site! I don't know how I survived without you guys! I am really beginning to understand how to moniter a pool!

12. Back To Top    #12

8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

13. Back To Top    #13

waste-LMAO! thats what i thought, the pool store is full of it. thanks for verifying this for me. i'm just glad that my SWG is working! and, its producing chlorine. i have it turned down to 30percent now.

14. Back To Top    #14

The CYA test is designed to be done in indirect sunlight. That means outdoors when it is sunny but without any direct sunlight shining on the CYA view tube.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

so, my 60-70 reading is the one i should trust?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The CYA test is designed to be done in indirect sunlight. That means outdoors when it is sunny but without any direct sunlight shining on the CYA view tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by teppy
    so, my 60-70 reading is the one i should trust?
    Yes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School