Sporadic results when turning on jets

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
If you've been following any of my posts, I'm new spa owner and having a helluva time with it. I think I have self diagnosed the problem that was causing my breaker to trip as being the heater, because when I disconnect the heater from the circuit board, the breaker doesn't trip and I'm able to circulate water (basically everything else works except the heater).

As I'm waiting on the technician to come verify/fix my problem, I'm trying to get the water chemistry right. In doing that I'm turning on the jets a lot to circulate when I add chemicals. I have three "Jets" button on the topside controller (Jets 1, Jets 2, Jets 3). When I first got my spa to stay on after disconnecting the heater, all 3 buttons worked and all sets of jets would come on.

As the days went by, the Jets 3 button stopped working but the other two still did. Next, only Jets 2 worked. Then one day, none of them did! I went and turned the spa off at the breaker and turned it back on a few seconds later. The system primed itself and came back on, but Jets 3 still didn't work. Now sometimes the light on the button itself comes on, but the Jets don't work. It's the craziest thing and its making me wonder if my heater really was the problem and it's actually not the circuit board itself going out. Maybe the heater is fine and it's the circuit board?

Or could the heater being disconnected cause this because the circuitry expects a heater to be connected?

Anybody have any thoughts on what could cause the sporadic problem of the jets not working?

At this point, it seems like the board may have some issues if you're having multiple problems with pumps operating sporadically. Have you looked into the cost of a replacement board?

Yes, new board was a couple hundred. Replacing the whole spa pack with heater and board was around $400 I think. I have a home warranty with pool/spa coverage so I'm hoping will cover it as both of these items are clearly listed as something they cover in the contract. But my track record with home warranty companies covering things isn't that good.

I've been hard pressed to find anyone knowledgeable that works on these type spas in my area. The company it was bought from are the ones that are coming out soon but I'm not exactly holding my breath since me and my electrician had to troubleshoot the problem for them before (after they came and left saying the breaker was bad).

Had a tech come replace my heater so that's now done and it's working. Still having problems with the jets. The tech said the topside control panel needed to be replaced as it was not sending a relay signal to the board. Sound reasonable?

Some of the buttons have always been really hard to push so maybe that makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.