New (Almost Complete) small build in Miami

Jun 16, 2016
Miami
Hello All,

I've been lurking TFP for a couple months, and i'm just finally coming around to posting the events of the past 2 months. As the title suggests my pool is almost complete except for decking. First i'd like to thank this community for whom if it weren't for I'd be pretty lost when it came to the building process and all the nuances that comes with such a large project. Second I'd like to apologize since I know the norm is to post a gradual progression of the events but I just did not have enough time with work, life, the fast pace of the PB, etc.

So for about 6 years the wife and I had been debating on what to do with our backyard, It was just grass and nothing else and I was getting tired of mowing the lawn and just looking at nothing out there. I always wanted an outdoor kitchen and a sitting area/pergola/covered area where I could sit down relax with some home brewed beer and grill. My wife always wanted a pool and I also wanted some type of water feature to go with my outdoor kitchen ideas. So this year we finally said we have to do something with the backyard and bit the bullet and signed the contract with the PB in late July.

I'm open to all comments and criticisms. Please be brutally honest, I know this isn't as fancy or as big as some other pools around here but I think we did alright given the space we had to work with.

Anyways without further ado I present to you my pool build. Hope you'll enjoy the time lapse videos.

Time lapse Videos:

1.Excavation
2.Rebar Install
3.Shotcrete
4.Coping/Tile
5.Plaster Diamond Brite
6.Pool Net

Plans:
ocjRxrG.png

aEuLPCd.png

Outline:
1Yg1PrL.jpg

Dig:
p4VWDPl.jpg

Rebar:
CyH2trJ.jpg

Mess:
F7v2NNO.jpg

Shotcrete:
m1IAqvT.jpg

Plaster:
q8zdYGF.jpg

Equipment:
F8Z8nuU.jpg

As of today:
BeX73gy.jpg

o8N86iG.jpg

You silly goose! That's a GREAT use of your space and I think its great! :goodjob:

Staying with simple lines is classic and gives you the most pool for your space. I personally think sometimes folks toss a little too much into a small space (too many curves, benches, water features, rocks..) and it looks out of place. Your pool looks inviting.

I like the use of a safety net- do you have kids?

Your equipment pad is very neat- I like lots of valves to isolate different returns and features as I want.

Now...when does the outdoor kitchen get started? :)

Have you ordered your TFP recommended test kit yet? I'd suggest the TF-100 with the Speed Stirrer device. TFTestkits.net

No kids yet. But the safety net was to pass inspection. I had ordered the kit ahead of time. Below are my readings from last night. I'm putting a SWG but I don't know which one to get. Was looking at Jandy Tru Clear just to keep all the equipment Jandy.

CL: 2
pH: 7.2
FC: 2.5
CC: 1
TC: 3.5
CH: 625
TA: 20
CYA: 0

Welcome to the forum, I am from Miami too!!!

I will like to have a pool like your one day... �� in reference to your chemistry what the PB say? You need some CYA asap or you are losing FC as soon as you add them under this hot Sun.... Dale... ��

You need to get those chem levels in line as the way it looks now (per PoolMath) your test levels are not good for your plaster.

First off- Please tells us-
1) What have you put in the pool chemical wise?
2) Can you test your fill water also? Gotta see what's going on with all that excess calcium.
3) Are you brushing your pool daily while its new?

You're going to need to get that TA up with Baking Soda.
You're going to need to get some CYA in there to help protect your FC from the sun burning it off.
You need to use liquid chlorine (aka bleach) daily until your SWG is up and running or you risk an algae outbreak.
You need to learn to use the PoolMath program (up at the top of this page) to guide your chemical additions- make sure you fill in the size of your pool, and then at the bottom you need to choose "plaster" and "bleach" along with "troublefreepool.com" to be specific to your pool. Then input your test numbers into the left sided "Now" column and then into the right side column (Target) put in where you want your numbers to be.
Use this as a resource (but Pool Math also guides you) --> Pool School - Recommended Levels

You need to read a few things on starting up new plaster pools --> Pool School - Start-up New Plaster and also this -->
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

When you get to the point of the SWG, look for one at least 2x the size of your pool so you can run it lower and it helps extend the life of the cell while providing the most FC. Until then keep using bleach.

Only buy fresh liquid chlorine from stores with frequent turn over in stock, and who don't store it outside in the sun and heat.

Keep us posted on how its going :)

Yip :flower:

Piolin - Nice to see a Miami native around here. I chuckled at the 'Dale'.

Yippee - The pool builder was supposed to have someone come out daily or at least every other day after fill but apparently they forgot to relay the message to him and they never came until 4 days after the pool was filled. (About 2 gallons of Acid was thrown in to keep the pH down and two trichlor pucks for those first days. When the pool guy did finally show up. All they did was throw a gallon of acid and add like 5 trichlor pucks in the skimmer. I was kinda worried that the 5 trichlor pucks were a it excessive. After that day the pH was really low around the 6.7 range and the CL was really High. I have been brushing the pool every day (although I did skip yesterday :( ) I will retest water today and report my findings. As for my fill water, yes it is very high in calcium.

Thanks for the help.

You need to talk to the PB as he holds the warranty on your pool's finish and ask him if he's done tweaking or what? All those trichlor tabs are very acidic, and also should have added some CYA to your water. Are you running the pump 24/7?

Ask him to explain to you what he wants you to do about the water? We don't want to do anything to void your warranty so if they're going to continue tweaking they need to let you know or they need to tell you that its all yours to handle now.

Unfortunately PB is a little nonchalant about the whole tweaking of the chem's. I actually just got off the phone with him and I inquired about the pool guy coming out, and he said that he's supposed to come out once a week. I don't think that's enough to keep up with the fluctuations in the water. Also mentioned about the pH being high and so forth but again he was very nonchalant about it, said its fine since it's been raining... So at this point i'm going to assume responsibility for the chem's for my peace of mind. Too bad cause I was pretty happy with the work and speed they did until now.

These are today's numbers

pH: 6.5
FC:2
CC: .5
TC: 2.5
CH: 1000 (not sure why the calcium is increasing)
TA: 10
CYA: 0

Going to go to pool store this afternoon.

Edit: Yes I have been running the pool 24/7 although the PB originally set it for 8 hour periods.

Please, I must have missed it but *which test kit* are you using? Are you sure about that pH?

And what do you need at the Pool Store for those numbers?? I'd suggest staying outta that place or you'll end up spending a fortune and possibly on items you don't need!

Did your PB do an Acid Start Up or...what? Do you still have a lot of plaster dust in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
/\
Post #3 says "the kit" and test results that look like TF-100 results.

MA lowers pH, don't add that. Borax or WASHING soda.

Last edited:
Hey guys this was as of a few minutes ago.
And yes It's the TF-100 kit.
xSCKCko.png

I think part of the problem i've been noticing is that the pH drops really steep when I add any acid. I only added about 1 1/2 cups worth of acid today and it brought it from 7.2 (yesterday's reading) to what you see in the pic today.

Yippee - No Pool dust as far as I can tell. I've been brushing everyday since fill day sometimes twice a day. Yes it was an Acid startup.

I'm heading to Walmart in a bit to pick up baking soda and Washing Soda.

We need to get that PH up and fast please. I have a link for you:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This will tell you what we use for what. Walmart, target, Lowes, etc will be where you shop for you pool! Neat huh?

This one should be printed out and kept with your test kit:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Now this one......there is a learning curve but it is SO worth it!! Do as yippie said with the settings:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Look at this one. Note the 30 days no swimming depends on what start up was used. You should be fine with your start up:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I hope this helps you take control of your pool.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.