First time green pool

Thanks for the above replies. I will start the filtering once I have enough water.

I see there are some streaks of dirt at the bottom of the pool. Would it make sense to just vacuum these to waste while I am filling the pool. My thought is that it needs to be vacuumed up in any case.

Vacuum to waste what you can. Removing as much debris will speed up the process especially considering you have a sand filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completed the vacuum to waste and cleaned up all streaks of dust or whatever it was. This brought the level down, but finally it was up to skimmer level again. The 1/2 gallon bleach was added and circulation was started through filter. I have attached my Kreepy Krauly, but I'm not sure if it is necessary at this time.

My testing kit has not arrived yet, so I should either have to go into some holding pattern, or maybe get the water tested again by the pool company to see how it compares against their previous baseline. They did give me a pH and CYA level, so maybe I can use it as a starting point to at least get the pH corrected. Any thoughts?

Pool store testing is terrible, I wouldn't waste the time or gas.

You said earlier that your test kit should come today. Do a full set of tests and see where you are then.

Do not get your water tested at the pool store. They are notoriously inaccurate. In fact, draining before you had your own results with a reliable test kit was a bit of gamble. You could have drained too much or not enough.

The water didn't get bad overnight and it won't be fixed overnight. You need a little POP, pool owner patience. Your kit will be here soon and you'll be working with accurate information.

Pool store testing is terrible, I wouldn't waste the time or gas.

You said earlier that your test kit should come today. Do a full set of tests and see where you are then.

Thanks again. My concern is more having the pool condition deteriorating while I wait for the test kit. I just want to make sure I maintain it at a level until I can verify the CYA and then get the pH to 7.2.

It is also possible that the kit will be delivered late and then I will have to wait until tomorrow during daytime to perform the CYA check.

I have the POP, but the bottom line for me is to keep the pool at the current level until I can start my testing.

Thanks again for all the advice and any future advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Do not get your water tested at the pool store. They are notoriously inaccurate. In fact, draining before you had your own results with a reliable test kit was a bit of gamble. You could have drained too much or not enough.

The water didn't get bad overnight and it won't be fixed overnight. You need a little POP, pool owner patience. Your kit will be here soon and you'll be working with accurate information.

Thanks for the comments.

I have plenty of POP, but just want to make sure I can keep the pool condition where it is currently at until I can do the test and the proceed.

DSCN1654.jpg
I received the Taylor K-2006 and performed the CYA test. Since this was the first time I did this test, I decided to do it a second time, and both came out to just past the 100 mark. I also had the water retested at the pool company just to verify and see how much it changed since their last test. Their CYA test resulted in a CYA of 75. Either way I need to bring my CYA down a bit.

I haven't tested the FC yet, but was surprised that the pool company still showed a high FC number of 10. It must be from washing the pool wall with bleach and then adding the 1/2 gallon when the pool was filled.

Next step is bringing the CYA down by draining another 60% to get to CYA 40. I will probably do this about 25% at a time since the sun is still out and I don't want the plaster exposed to the AZ sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The problem with getting the k2006 is the limited number of tests that are needed especially when slaming. You can reorder more from tfteskits. I suggest the fas dos reagents and more cya reagent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with getting the k2006 is the limited number of tests that are needed especially when slaming. You can reorder more from tfteskits. I suggest the fas dos reagents and more cya reagent.

I did order some extra R-870 (DPD powder) & R-871 (liquid) for the slam, bit did not know I needed more for R-0013 also.

Regarding the diluted test. When you say 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water, I assume you mean I still need to use 7ml R-0013 and then double the result to see how far I am above 100. This does not save any R-0013, but only let's me measure above 100.

How can I save on reagent, or is there no way to do it?

Logic tells me that if I know the number is still going to be high, can't I just put 3.5ml of pool water in the dispensing bottle, then add 3.5ml R-0013, then do the test. The lowest I can measure will be around 50, so if all 7ml of mixture has been added to the comparator tube, and I can still see the black dot, then I know the CYA is less than 50. If it is still over 50, then at least I have only used 3.5ml of the R-0013.

You kit will allow for about 8 CYA tests so just keep that in mind. There is a pretty large margin of error in the test and once you start deviating from that you increase the margin of error.

Up to you if you want to deviate, however, here are the official guidelines on doing the diluted CYA test: Pool School - CYA

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
Shake briefly to mix.
Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

kcindc, thanks for the explanation.

I was wondering why you indicated that I can get 8 CYA tests out of my kit, since the bottle of R-0013 only has 22ml in it and you use 7ml per test. I then realized that the kit actually contains 2 bottles. I'm not sure how Taylor can claim 8 tests out of 44ml, unless you only use 5.5ml per CYA test.

I did some pool draining last night, and this morning some vacuuming to waste. The pool is now being filled again and then I will be ready for the next CYA test. Wish me luck and some of that POP patience.

My results are in:

CYA: 53 (about 1/4 past 50, between 50 and 60)
ph: 7.8
FC: 4.0

I think I am ready to SLAM once I bring my pH down to closer to 7.2.

Pool math indicates 30oz of 29% muriatic acid. This is going in now.

How long should I wait before I test the pH again?

Based on the above numbers my target Slam FC should be between 21 to 24. Two 1 gallon 10% should put me at a target of 22 FC.

Should I test the pH again before starting the slam, or start the slam about 30 minutes after the acid went in?

Thanks again for any advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.